NaOH Question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusti

Reaction score
So, I was recently gifted a bunch of things from a friend who decided she didn't want to soap anymore, and among those things was several 2lb buckets of NaOH from Camden Gray. I went to feel of them yesterday and seems the beads had clumped, but broke up fairly easily when I squeezed the tubs (and all but one of the tubs have not been opened).

I have no idea how old this NaOH is and figure I can do a test in some water to see how hot it gets, but what are y'all's thoughts? Give it a shot? Toss it? Clean some drains around the house?

NaOH absorbs water from the air and then converts to sodium carbonate, but any significant loss of hydroxide results in hard clumping.

It's very likely fine to use for soap.

I agree w Psfred -- soft clumps are most likely no big deal. I keep 2 lb NaOH and KOH containers in tightly sealed 5 gallon buckets with a desiccant in the buckets to keep the air really dry around the containers. I'm confident my alkalis stay really dry. I opened a new container of NaOH a few days ago and noticed some of the NaOH was in soft clumps -- ones that broke apart quite easily with a brief shake. Even NaOH that's stored dry can clump a bit like this. I think you should be fine.

Back