Name This FO

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It smells like cherry and cinnamon, it produces a pink then golden-colored soap, and it accelerates very quickly. Not quite soap on a stick, but close.

I have no idea what's it's called or who's product it is. One of you gave it to me a couple years ago, but another FO in the box leaked, which removed the print from the label. I must have been able to read part of the label at one point, because I wrapped a piece of masking tape around the small bottle and wrote, "May separate - ask Amy."

Last night I finally got the courage to use it, and I thought "Bring on the separation -- I know how to handle that!" I was going to leave it in the bowl and let it throw it's tantrum. But instead of separating it solidified quick while still in the bowl. Plan B was to force it through gel (in the bowl) so I could scoop it into the mold. But silly me, I had skimped on water, so needed a higher temp than normal to gel. I couldn't get it hot enough, so I went to bed wondering if I could ever get it out of the bowl.

Today I gave the bowl a crock-pot water bath, which loosened up the fully-saponified soap enough to mash into a mold. I didn't even add more water. It has kind of a cool look for a rebatch (and it smells divine). It's golden now, but I swear it was a fleshy pink before I cut it.

Anyone know what this FO might be??

IMG_2097.JPG

It smells like cherry and cinnamon, it produces a pink then golden-colored soap, and it accelerates very quickly. Not quite soap on a stick, but close.

I have no idea what's it's called or who's product it is. One of you gave it to me a couple years ago, but another FO in the box leaked, which removed the print from the label. I must have been able to read part of the label at one point, because I wrapped a piece of masking tape around the small bottle and wrote, "May separate - ask Amy."

Last night I finally got the courage to use it, and I thought "Bring on the separation -- I know how to handle that!" I was going to leave it in the bowl and let it throw it's tantrum. But instead of separating it solidified quick while still in the bowl. Plan B was to force it through gel (in the bowl) so I could scoop it into the mold. But silly me, I had skimped on water, so needed a higher temp than normal to gel. I couldn't get it hot enough, so I went to bed wondering if I could ever get it out of the bowl.

Today I gave the bowl a crock-pot water bath, which loosened up the fully-saponified soap enough to mash into a mold. I didn't even add more water. It has kind of a cool look for a rebatch (and it smells divine). It's golden now, but I swear it was a fleshy pink before I cut it.

Anyone know what this FO might be??

Good save.

Thank you.

But dang - I still want to know!

The closest I've come is Apple jack peel, which according BBs auto-writeup is "top notes of cinnamon and cloves rounding down to the mellow scent of red apples." But I just don't pick up apples, and my nose is in them a lot (cider is my drug of choice ;). It reminds me a lot more of cherries, almost like Jergens lotion (or what Jergens used to be like years ago anyway). It's possible I'm wrong of course, since scents can be hard to accurately identify. Also, it may have morphed or faded, since I don't always detect the cinnamon. But you can bet I know that cinnamon (and possibly clove) is there, not only from scent but also from the borderline seize!

Anyway, I'm still on a quest to figure out what this is if anyone has ideas.

I would bet it's BB's old Ginger Pear. Smells fantastic but can be a bear to soap. I don't think I ever sent you Peak's Cranberry apple Marmalade, which would be my other guess- that one has a minute usage rate which I didn't realize until a year ago but I don't recall sending that to you. I definitely sent you the Ginger Pear.

I didn't read about your certainty of the cinnamon. It may be the Cranberry Apple Marmalade. I have made it a number of time which normal usage rates (3%) and never had any issues with the soap in terms of skin irritation or such.

I have the Peak CAM and I think I still have a little Ginger Pear, which they no longer make so I've been reluctant to use may last little bit. If you want me to send you a sniff of each so you can compare, let me know. I can have them in the mail in no time.

Last edited:
Newbie, I got excited with your note b/c I thought for sure I still had a bottle labeled ginger pear that you had sent me 2 years ago, and which I could compare to. But I've looked through everything and I don't see one. I either used it or the label washed away.

But I am hedging toward ginger pear anyway based its behavior, discoloration, and that we both remember you sending it. (I don't recall possessing CAM). Would you have sent 2 or 3 one-ounce bottles (trying to sabotage me maybe??)?

I think I still have 2 bottles of it right now, including the one I drew from in this batch (mostly empty now). The labels are unreadable but they smell the same to me.

I might also have used this fragrance in March's whipped soap challenge. I'm uncertain because back then I posted that I *might* use ginger pear (suggesting I could still read a label), but my batch notes say "unk FO". And I'm infamous for crappy notes and blending on the fly, so who knows. The scent has faded in the bars quite a bit so I can't really tell.

Rather than you sending me sniffies, I I should send you a bar and one of the bottles back. It only seems fair, unless you really don't want either.

I do love the scent of this. Why must it be a ho FO?! Perfect for HP I guess.

I don't think I would have sent you 3 bottles of it. I had a 4 ounce bottle of it, I think, and kept some back for myself. They don't make it anymore (probably too big of a pain to soap. I just went to see if they kept Marrakesh, which is a huge pain to soap and it's gone too. They finally decided to stop yanking people's chains and took down the discontinuation notice of Lychee Red Tea.). I will have to go revisit my bottle to see if it smells kind of cinnamon-y.

Last edited:
Back