Nail Polish

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, long time no post!
I've been mixing custom nail polish colors for a few weeks as a new hobby and I've noticed that some things like glitters are leaving the polish quite textured on dry down.
I don't notice this effect with my favorite commercial nail polishes and was wondering if anyone had any insight into what I might try to reduce the texture and create a smoother layer.
I've been using the TKB glamour base and the glitter unique glitter suspension bases. I also have a mica suspension base and a polish thinning solution. The glitters I'm using are microfine from TKB and various micas from Mad Micas and TKB mostly.

Hi Megan! Nice to see you. It sounds like you've been having fun!
I've been using the TKB glamour base
I wish I could help you but, honestly? I think TKB is your best source for answers. They have been around since "forever" and know their products well. Would luv to see your results!

Attachments

• How about a pic.gif
    How about a pic.gif
    3.6 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
what usage rates are you following? Perhaps you could use less to avoid that?
Possibly…I am trying to stay around 5% total additional colorant and a small percentage of that is glitter…maybe 1%

I am thinking that maybe it’s just the hex size to blame…and plan to try a much smaller glitter.

Hi Megan! Nice to see you. It sounds like you've been having fun!

I wish I could help you but, honestly? I think TKB is your best source for answers. They have been around since "forever" and know their products well. Would luv to see your results!
I’ll get some pictures after Halloween. I have a specific polish I’m wearing tomorrow with my costume but it’s not one I’ve made.

It's been a while but, mixing custom nail polish sounds like such a fun hobby. I've had a similar issue with textured polish before, especially when using glitters. One thing that worked for me was experimenting with different ratios of glitter to base. Sometimes adding a bit more base or using finer glitters helped create a smoother finish. Also, have you tried letting each layer dry completely before adding the next? It can help with the overall texture.

It's been a while but, mixing custom nail polish sounds like such a fun hobby. I've had a similar issue with textured polish before, especially when using glitters. One thing that worked for me was experimenting with different ratios of glitter to base. Sometimes adding a bit more base or using finer glitters helped create a smoother finish. Also, have you tried letting each layer dry completely before adding the next? It can help with the overall texture.
And one thing that worked for me was experimenting with different ratios of glitter to base and nail designs.

Latest posts

Back