Nag Champa

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone have a good source for a Nag Champa EO or FO that doesn't discolor? Also, if it was a Canadian source would be great! I have found 2 or 3 Canadian sources with high reviews for scent, but they discolor to a dark brown. I used to have a good source in the States, Missy's Candles, but she is out of business now.

@John Harris have you ever used Mountain Rose Herbs products? I don't know how their EO's perform in soap making and there are different blends you could use to make up your own scent for Nag Champa. I don't know what the original formula was but quite a few different EO's can be used and they're still calling it Nag Champa, but you probably already know that.

@cassia Hi Cassia! Thanks for the reply. Actually, my experience with soaping is pretty circumscribed. I've made soap on and off for many years, but I simply used variations of a basic recipe and varied the scents. No experience with coloring, swirling, or EO mixing. For EOs and FOs I would just take whatever the supplier sent me and use it as is.

Mountain Rose Herbs is in the USA and I am in Canada (though I am American). I always buy Canadian so as to avoid customs complications.

I just made a 32 bar batch of Nag Champa. I found a bottle of the FO I liked from the now defunct Missy's Candles. I thought I had used that bottle up completely on my last Nag Champa "adventure" 2.5 years ago, so I was surprised when I discovered the remaining amount. This most recent batch looks to be a success.

I have been searching the Canadian suppliers and have found a few Nag Champa sources with rave reviews, but ... they all seem to discolor to a dark brown which I (and people who like my soap) don't want. I know they sell a liquid that is supposed to stop that vanillin discoloration, but it is expensive! $90 for a liter of it!

3 ozs sodium metabisulfate (SM)
3 ozs sodium thiosulfate (pentahydrate) (STP) ??

My local WalMart didn't have any! :shakinghead:

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/Sodium-Metabisulfite-1-Lb/PRD3RFCFKUYXPY0
https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/PVCS-P...um-Chlorine-Neutralizer-for-Home/49WCWA72LRWX
It's a bit unfortunate that @Todd Ziegler mixed up “metabisulfite” and “metabisulfate” in his recipe wrap-up. You might find it at homebrewing/winemaking suppliers too.

Thiosulfate is an indispensable ingredient in B/W photographic fixers, so you local photo studio might have some in their basement.

ETA:
Sodium Thiosulfate @ Walmart said:
🤨

Last edited:
I cannot help you with a non-discoloring Nag, but WSP has the best Nag Champa I have ever used. It does not turn dark brown.

Their website says it discolors to a brown. Tan, maybe?

Cold Process Soap Test Results:
1x1.gif
We test fragrances with the recipe of 50% olive oil, 20% sunflower oil,
15% coconut 76, 10% shea butter, 5% castor. No water discount.
1x1.gif

Acceleration: None
1x1.gif
Color After Cure: Brown
1x1.gif
Ricing: None
1x1.gif
Separation: None

@John Harris I know you don't want to hear this, but sometimes you just have to have brown soap in order to get the scent you want.

I just go ahead and use cocoa to darken up some of it and use some gold mica pencil lines to highlight just how beautiful that brown is. I get it to a med-heavy trace stage and plop the dark brown (colored) batter in irregular plops, often at an angle. Then do a mica line, plop the uncolored part, repeat the mica lines, etc.

Oh, and Nag Champa FO mixed with Dragon's Blood FO is phenomenal if you like spicy scents.

Champa FO mixed with Dragon's Blood FO is phenomenal if you like spicy scents.

When my WSP Nag Champa FO comes, I will have to try this. Thank you, Susie.

Incidentally, I love what Dragon's Blood does to soap colors. It turns bright colors into jewel colors that to my eye is quite lovely.

Latest posts

Back