Myrrh

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is what I found on Hopewell Oils:

Myrrh

Safety Information
Children:
Suitable
Pregnancy/Breastfeeding: Not suitable. Tisserand/Young notes that Myrrh is contraindicated for use during pregnancy because it may be fetotoxic. Myrrh is not on the National Association for Holistic Aromatherapy list to avoid (2014).

Application Suggestions (See Essential Oil Usage for more information and a Dilution Chart.)
Topical: Dilute with a carrier oil, unscented lotion or unscented cream and apply on area of concern or as desired. Consider using a roll-on applicator for ease of application of prediluted oil.

Since Myrrh does not have a limiting dilution parameter, we suggest that adults follow the General Guidelines found on the Dilution Chart, which is:

2-3% for daily application
Up to 25% for short-term use

References
Battaglia, Salvatore, The Complete Guide to Aromatherapy, 2002, pages 233-234.
Purchon, Nerys; Cantele, Lora, Complete Aromatherapy and Essential Oils Handbook for Everyday Wellness, page 24.
Schnaubelt, Kurt, The Healing Intelligence of Essential Oils, 2111, page 131-135.
Sheppard-Hanger, Sylla, The Aromatherapy Practitioner Reference Manual, Tampa, FL: Atlantic Institute of Aromatherapy, 1994.
Tisserand, Robert; Young, Rodney, Essential Oil Safety: A Guide for Health Care Professionals, Elsevier Health Sciences UK 2nd Edition 2014, pages 152-153, 357.

Here is what I found on Hopewell Oils:

Myrrh

Safety Information
Children:
Suitable
Pregnancy/Breastfeeding: Not suitable. Tisserand/Young notes that Myrrh is contraindicated for use during pregnancy because it may be fetotoxic. Myrrh is not on the National Association for Holistic Aromatherapy list to avoid (2014).

Application Suggestions (See Essential Oil Usage for more information and a Dilution Chart.)
Topical: Dilute with a carrier oil, unscented lotion or unscented cream and apply on area of concern or as desired. Consider using a roll-on applicator for ease of application of prediluted oil.

Since Myrrh does not have a limiting dilution parameter, we suggest that adults follow the General Guidelines found on the Dilution Chart, which is:

2-3% for daily application
Up to 25% for short-term use

References
Battaglia, Salvatore, The Complete Guide to Aromatherapy, 2002, pages 233-234.
Purchon, Nerys; Cantele, Lora, Complete Aromatherapy and Essential Oils Handbook for Everyday Wellness, page 24.
Schnaubelt, Kurt, The Healing Intelligence of Essential Oils, 2111, page 131-135.
Sheppard-Hanger, Sylla, The Aromatherapy Practitioner Reference Manual, Tampa, FL: Atlantic Institute of Aromatherapy, 1994.
Tisserand, Robert; Young, Rodney, Essential Oil Safety: A Guide for Health Care Professionals, Elsevier Health Sciences UK 2nd Edition 2014, pages 152-153, 357.
So does that mean it can be used at 2-3% of oils in cold process?

Important note: the information below is for Sweet Myrrh Commiphora erthyraea, not “True“ Myrrh Commiphora myrrha

NOTE: I completely edited this post because I found updated IFRA information and there’s no reason to keep the older information in the post.

The IFRA 49th Amendment document for synonyms opoponax (oil, gum, absolute, resinoid, tincture), sweet myrrh and commiphora erthyraea sets the safe usage in soap (category 9) as 0.84%, which is up slightly from the 47th amendment. Usage would be 0.84% of weight of oils in batch. The full IFRA doc is available here.

DCF1BC78-FA13-4C2F-B3ED-687AADA835C1.png

Last edited:
So does that mean it can be used at 2-3% of oils in cold process?
I would be hesitant to use that much in soap, not just for the expense, but because of the info shared by @Mobjack Bay.

One of the issues with soap is that we can't guarantee that it will only be in contact with skin. There is always a good chance that it will also come in contact with the nasal passages, mouth, eyes, and other mucous membranes or sensitive areas of the body. That's one reason we sometimes see a lower usage rate for soap than for a leave-on product like lotion (which is very unlikely to get into our eyes or nose).

Myrrh is a different thing from Sweet Myrrh (Opopanax, Commiphora erythraea) with a different CAS # and different safety levels.

They smell different. Are different in makeup.

True Myrrh (Commiphora myrrah) isn't mentioned in the 49th or 50th IFRAs as far as I could find.

Latest posts

Back