My work place stinks - literally

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixiedragon

Reaction score
I work at a place that makes labels. Sometimes we make scented labels. Right now we are making scratch n sniff Natural Gas labels. They say something like, "if you smell this, call this number" it's a safety type deal. The whole building REEKS of natural gas.

And this stuff costs $1000 PER GALLON.

I work at a place that makes labels. Sometimes we make scented labels. Right now we are making scratch n sniff Natural Gas labels. They say something like, "if you smell this, call this number" it's a safety type deal. The whole building REEKS of natural gas.

Oh yuck!!! You poor thing! Nothing like smelling rotten eggs all day or more. :sick:

It could be the very stuff they put in the natural gas to make it stink. All by it's self natural gas is odorless. They put the stink in it so you know it's there.

I do feel for you though. IT must be a nasty thing to have to put up with. And then try to "unsmell" it when you get off work.

Oh, ewwww. I used to work at a chemical production facility that used mercaptans as a raw feedstock for certain types of products. (The chemical that is added to natural gas to create its stink is a mercaptan.) I had to leave my work shoes out in the garage and wash my clothes extra clean. Sometimes my skin would even have that odor. Ugh....

It really sticks to the car! So even if I get home, bath and wash my clothes, my car will still smell like it tomorrow.

If I smell it long enough, it starts to smell like garlic and curry to me. I think it's some kind of defense mechanism.

Ohhh...my sympathies! I have relatives in Maine, in a town that used to have a paper mill. Paper mills have a sulfurous smell to them, and I can still remember after visiting there, coming home, and having that smell on my clothes when unpacking. It really is a smell that seems to stick. Not forever, thankfully, but it does hang in there. :sick:

I'm laughing at this. I will totally trade you. Your stink is temporary. My office smells like raw sewage several days a week. I work in the federal building downtown. It was built in something like 1920 and has the original pipes. They've got leaks and holes in them. I swear whenever someone takes a dump on the third floor it leaks through my walls. Of course, I have no proof of this (thank goodness!); however, it is pretty bad when 3 out of every 5 days I'm spraying stuff and using my wax tarts. When there is heavy rain, the basement floods and the poop floats. :lolno: I'm surprised we don't all have dysentery or cholera.

Oh Dixie and Teresa, I feel for you!

One of my first "real" jobs was handling shipping problems. About once a week I had to go through ancient bills of lading that were stored in a warehouse attic. Aside from it being insanely hot up there, it reeked of degrading carbon paper, diesel fumes, and dust. I would still be smelling it on my fingers the next day - no matter what I tried to scrub with.

I feel for ya Dixie. That is not a scent I'd want to smell all day. But it's an important scent to know, so thanks for taking one for the team ;)

As a teenager I worked food prep in a burger joint, chopping oodles and oodles of onions. I thought I'd never come clean. These days they probably wear gloves (or at least know about coffee soap!), but in the 80's that wasn't in the cards.

I'm really bad, Teresa. I read "wax tarts" as "wax f*rts". :mrgreen: .

DeeAnna, I did too! I'm going to blame it on the fact that I was looking at an FO with the name of "Monkey Farts." Yeah, that's what made my mind go there. :think:

Sometimes my skin would even have that odor. Ugh....

One semester in college I worked on a pig farm for my student job. I feel like I had this issue, or it stuck in my nose. The smell didn't bother me too terribly, but it wasn't what you'd call pleasant. And at the time I lived with 30 other girls in one of those cooperative living houses and a couple of them were so delicate they would gag when I came in from work. So I had to go down to the basement, strip off my work clothes and toss them in to wash and then run upstairs to shower or I'd get dragged into a meeting.

Nothing like the smell of pig!

I got my master's at a university that started as an agricultural school. So the university is surrounded by university-owned farms off different types. My apartment was next to the Experimental Swine Unit - and I never smelled a thing! Very impressive.

Latest posts

Back