Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin roberts

Reaction score
This is my third batch and less of a failure than the first two.

30 oz coconut oil
50 oz olive oil
11 oz lye
24 oz beer

I’ve been trying to dry a portion of this batch that volcanoed yesterday in the oven. I’ve been turning the temp up a bit every hour or so. At 170 degrees, a portion, about 2/3 liquifies and the rest is congealed and floating. Warm on my crockpot is 120ish and Low is more like 200. I’ll put it in on Low and watch carefully. Should I split the floating portion out?

You aren't going to be able to completely liquefy your soap. Generally rebatch has a consistency of mashed potatoes.
Cook it until soft enough to stir thoroughly then shove it in a mold.

I recommended you start making 1 lb batches until you get the process down. That way you won't have some much go to waste if something goes wrong.

Honestly if your soap volcanoed that bad, it might be better to just toss it out.

You must have a pretty big crockpot to take that much soap.

First, I would not a put a beer soap into the oven. It does not need any added heat to come to gel. Or were you doing HP via the oven method? If so, a huge pot that has a lot of extra head room is in order for any recipe with sugars and/or alcohol is essential.

And if this is a re-batch, then expecting a full re-liquification of the soap is unrealistic. Also, I agree with Obsidian that your beginner batches are best kept at the 1 lb or 500 gram size (I use grams for my soap measurements - more accuracy).

You must have a pretty big crockpot to take that much soap.

First, I would not a put a beer soap into the oven. It does not need any added heat to come to gel. Or were you doing HP via the oven method? If so, a huge pot that has a lot of extra head room is in order for any recipe with sugars and/or alcohol is essential.

And if this is a re-batch, then expecting a full re-liquification of the soap is unrealistic. Also, I agree with Obsidian that your beginner batches are best kept at the 1 lb or 500 gram size (I use grams for my soap measurements - more accuracy).
You are right. I need to make smaller batches. I was making larger batches to make measurements more accurate

Back