My weight ultra vs kd 8000

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cal43

Reaction score
I’m trying to decide between these scales. I want to up grade from the one I have. The lye melted the plastic. I see that the My weight is plastic also. Can any give me some advise?

I have the kd 8000 - had it for years, before that I had the kd 7000. I have the adapter so I don't have to worry about batteries running out/dying, and I've turned the auto off - off, so it won't turn off in the middle of a pour. (that's why I got rid of the 7000 - I could never get that set and it would turn off on me right in the middle of a pour)
I LOVE my 8000. Even with all the spills, messes etc., it still works like a charm. The weigh plate is metal (I believe ss - because I've spilled lye on it and it's never had a reaction) and I have a plastic guard cover to go over the buttons, so if I spill there, it's not going to melt the buttons.
I've been soaping for well over 17 years and these are the only 2 scales I've had, so...

I second the KD with the adapter. I've only been soaping for two years...but I really like this scale and have had no problems with it. I check the calibration every so often with a cheap set of 10-500 g weights I got off of amazon and it has remained accurate so I have no worries about my final product.

I have a well-used KD 7000 -- probably well over 5 years old. I tricked it out with the optional stainless table which I don't regret buying.

I managed to get the auto-off disabled too. I don't have an AC adapter, but the lack hasn't been a problem for me. The batteries last a long time for me even with the auto-off disabled. (I do try to turn the scale off when I don't need it anymore -- I don't just leave it on for hours without use.)

I use it probably every other day for 5-10 minutes for cooking, soaping, and my hobby of felt making.

I too have the KD-7000. I have no idea how old it is now. I've never had an issue with the auto-off so left it be. I do have the AC adapter somewhere. Batteries seem to last quite a long time. If I needed a new one I would probably get the KD-8000.

I have the kd 8000 - had it for years, before that I had the kd 7000. I have the adapter so I don't have to worry about batteries running out/dying, and I've turned the auto off - off, so it won't turn off in the middle of a pour. (that's why I got rid of the 7000 - I could never get that set and it would turn off on me right in the middle of a pour
I LOVE my 8000. Even with all the spills, messes etc., it still works like a charm. The weigh plate is metal (I believe ss - because I've spilled lye on it and it's never had a reaction) and I have a plastic guard cover to go over the buttons, so if I spill there, it's not going to melt the buttons.
I've been soaping for well over 17 years and these are the only 2 scales I've had, so...
Thank you for your reply

I second the KD with the adapter. I've only been soaping for two years...but I really like this scale and have had no problems with it. I check the calibration every so often with a cheap set of 10-500 g weights I got off of amazon and it has remained accurate so I have no worries about my final product.
Thank you very much.

I have a well-used KD 7000 -- probably well over 5 years old. I tricked it out with the optional stainless table which I don't regret buying.

I managed to get the auto-off disabled too. I don't have an AC adapter, but the lack hasn't been a problem for me. The batteries last a long time for me even with the auto-off disabled. (I do try to turn the scale off when I don't need it anymore -- I don't just leave it on for hours without use.)

I use it probably every other day for 5-10 minutes for cooking, soaping, and my hobby of felt making.
Thank You 😊

I too have the KD-7000. I have no idea how old it is now. I've never had an issue with the auto-off so left it be. I do have the AC adapter somewhere. Batteries seem to last quite a long time. If I needed a new one I would probably get the KD-8000.

Thank you!

Thanks for the question and the responses. I'm using a "vintage" Acculab VI lab scale, which I like, but max capacity is only 13 oz, so it just won't handle a full batch. Now, I know what to replace it with!

Back