My weekend batches - Not so great

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wearytraveler

Reaction score
So I made this this weekend (See attached). Just starting out playing with colors. The batter started to thicken really quickly and I had to work fast to get it all poured and some kind of design going. I'm thinking it was the beeswax that caused the batter to stiffen quick. I know for certain it wasn't the FO. How do I know this? Cause I totally forgot to add it to the mix. So I have decent looking bars that are fragrance free. My second batch had no colors and I was able to scent it with no issues. However, while I love Sage and Citrus as a candle it just didn't translate all that well to soap. Never mind that I added a little menthol to the mix. The bars smell medicinal and I quite couldn't explain the scent but my 13 year old daughter made the connection: it smells just like the original, gold Listerine. I have soap that smells exactly like the old fashioned Listerine. Ugh. No pictures of that batch since it was color free/plane Jane. What the heck do I do with soap that smells like Listerine??
Oh, well... I guess another batch or two will be planned soon.

20160620_074804.jpg

I think your soaps looks lovely! We are always our worst critics, aren`t we!?

Regarding the scent, don`t judge it just yet. Things change during cure, not just colors, but scents too. You may end up with a delishious smelling soap, so give it time, at least a week or too, so you can get a sence of how the fragrance is evolving.

And also, having some neutral soaps without fragrance is great to have on hand! There are more and more people who are allergic or sensitive to fragrances, so you can cure them well and save some especially for those who usually can not use soaps like that, because fragrances are usually added! They would appreciate the gift!

Just be sure to cure them in another place, away from the others that has fragrance. That way you can be sure you have a "clean" soap.

Nice soap. And I sympathize on the listerine. I have a really pretty soap that smells horribly medicinal too. I followed an aromatherapy EO blend recipe I found on that net that was supposed to be "soothing." In retrospect, I think it was meant to be applied to sore muscles. Anyway, my soap has been relinquished to the patio until it looses enough scent to be bearable indoors. it's going on a month now, and there is no sign it is letting up. But at least I have something pretty to look at outside that the deer won't eat :)

Thanks for the replies. The "Listerine" soap will be set aside (far, far aside) to let it do its thing for as long as it needs. I tried some this morning and it lathers beautifully but coming out of the shower smelling like Listerine is NOT my cup of tea. I just hope this hasn't ruined Sage and Citrus for me!

Back