My very first Hot Process soap! 🤗

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soapgeek

Reaction score
I'm still new to soapmaking, but just made hot process soap for the first time today *happy dance*

I made it in a pan on the stove top with a whisk and a spatula (I don't have a slow cooker or a stick blender yet!); I was a bit worried it wouldn't work, but I think it has... It went kind of like mashed potato in the pan, and then a bit waxy like Vaseline. It wasn't as easy to mould as cold process, where you can easily pour the soap batter into the mould, so I scooped it in with a spoon instead.

I swirled the top with a cocktail stick, with the idea that the slices would have peaks/texture on the top - the peaks are a bit crumbly, but hey, hot process is supposed to be 'rustic', isn't it 😉.

I made this at noon today, and I've been able to wash my hands with it already! It could probably do with a couple of weeks to cure and get harder, but it's usable right now 🙂

Scented with essential oils of:
Sweet orange
Patchouli
Ylang ylang

Attachments

• 20200529_150627.jpg
    20200529_150627.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG-20200529-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20200529-WA0001.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG-20200529-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20200529-WA0002.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 16
  • 20200529_141122.jpg
    20200529_141122.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 16
Congratulations!!! HP needs just as long of a cure as CP and sometimes longer due to more water/liquid needed to do HP. With HP saponification is a big quicker but CP is good to use in a 1-3 days depending on if gel is achieved.

Congratulations!!! HP needs just as long of a cure as CP and sometimes longer due to more water/liquid needed to do HP. With HP saponification is a big quicker but CP is good to use in a 1-3 days depending on if gel is achieved.
Thank you! I've had problems with gel phase in my last 2 CP batches, so thought I'd give HP a try. I'm going to leave these HP soaps to cure now, see how they go...

Because the soap is much thicker and I scooped it in, I'm wondering if the soap will develop cracks around the 'scoops'... time will tell 😉

Thank you! I've had problems with gel phase in my last 2 CP batches, so thought I'd give HP a try. I'm going to leave these HP soaps to cure now, see how they go...

Because the soap is much thicker and I scooped it in, I'm wondering if the soap will develop cracks around the 'scoops'... time will tell 😉
When/if you do get a slow cooker, try to cover it with some plastic film and let it cook for a while on low. I've gotten a much more fluid HP that way and it definitely cut down on the cracked appearance. I would not try this on a stove however.

Congratulations! 😁🎉 I just wanted to note that the method @Arimara mentioned also works in the oven in case you have one 😉 it works really well for me.
Thank you! My oven is out of action at the moment, waiting for a new one, but when I get a new oven, what temperature would it need to be to HP the soap? And would the soap need stirring from time to time? 🙂

When I do oven HP I keep the oven temperature between 70-80°C.
If I have a very slow moving recipe (think bastile type recipes with lots of soft oils) I sometimes let it go to 100°C for a few minutes in the very beginning to speed things up and then go down to my regular temperatures.
I don't have a low enough setting on my oven, so I keep it on the lowest setting and control the temps by opening and closing my oven door while checking on my oven thermometer.
I never stir.. just let it sit there, waiting for everything to be in gel phase and then mix in any additive I was planning on😉

When I do oven HP I keep the oven temperature between 70-80°C.
If I have a very slow moving recipe (think bastile type recipes with lots of soft oils) I sometimes let it go to 100°C for a few minutes in the very beginning to speed things up and then go down to my regular temperatures.
I don't have a low enough setting on my oven, so I keep it on the lowest setting and control the temps by opening and closing my oven door while checking on my oven thermometer.
I never stir.. just let it sit there, waiting for everything to be in gel phase and then mix in any additive I was planning on😉
Thanks @szaza , I'll give that a go when I get my oven... I presume it's ok to cook it in my stainless steel big pan?

Back