My soaps this week..

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
@Primrose That is true.
@Alfa_Lazcares That is really interesting. So do I do it when it's fully cured or right after it is cut?

Also what do I do with all the test trys and such? What do I do to use up or get rid of?
Or should I say what do you all do with practice batches? Because it cost money to get supplies for practice batches too.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can zap test them after 2-3 days. Test batches you cure then see how you like them. You can give them to friends and family for feed back. I tested soap fro over a year and still weren’t the as good as they are now after many years.

What do you do with all your test batches? Why - use them of course!

What you need to realise is that selling is the end result of the learning process of making soap. Learn to make soap first, and learn to make good soap. Learn and understand the science. Test out different recipes. To do that, you need to be trying them!

U can prob use ur hi CO soap for ur hands and body. Its prob too harsh for the face.

Also drop ur batch size dn to about two bars 4 experimenting. Two bars is enough for blending and cutting.

Last edited:
What I find concerning is that you did not know that your high coconut oil soap was quite drying. You are not using your own soap to evaluate it? I have 10 bars ( different recipes) at all times in my shower. I am constantly trying my soap recipes. Some I keep and some not. If I don't love it then I move on to another experiment. Yes, I have my go-to recipes that are tried and true - but I love experimenting and always trying to beat my last best recipe. That is what frankly is my passion in this business. For my first 3-4 years I gave away all of my soap to neighbors, friends and even people I didn't know. I told them them I needed an honest opinion as to how they liked it or if they didn't. But to please be honest.

I did not sell my soap for years. This business is expensive and saturated. For you to survive you have to work it and have an outstanding product. Not just a soap. But a great soap or you will not survive. Your customers will not be back if they do not like it. Yes anyone can sell a bar of soap. Getting them to keep buying it is key.

Newbies that sell right away hurt this business for everyone. It turns people off to the concept that a handmade soap is better. Especially when its not. Work on your recipes if your serious. Learn what each oil brings to the table. You are no where near ready to sell. So please don't. If you want to stay on this forum, my advice to you is to read and read and read. I have been making soap for 11 years and I always learn something here.

Hi all - I’m new to soaping as well and thought I would throw my thoughts into the ring.

I am 54 years old and retired from a successful photography studio that I started, ran, and finally sold. We did just north of $ 1 mil a year in gross sales. I know a thing or 2 about marketing, brand, design, customer feedback, mistakes, successes, market niches, etc.

I say all that because even with all that experience - I don’t begin to think that I am in any way ready to launch a successful soap biz! I’ve been practicing, succeeding, failing, sharing, learning, listening, reading. I’ve not yet given any soap to friends but I will soon. I will solicit honest feedback and implement suggestions and consider all criticisms.

I imagine I am about a year off from introducing my product to the marketplace. I’ve got so much to learn and mistakes to make and I don’t want a potential customer to have to be my lab rat.

I want to share on this site and get feedback so I can have a great product when I introduce it to the marketplace. I admire your youth and enthusiasm. It can take you far. But I would suggest that you don’t look for shortcuts that aren’t there. Experience comes from practice and more practice. Keep trying and keep learning. You are in the right path by coming here. Don’t give up!! Just don’t try to be a rockstar without learning how to play the instrument first. Thanks!

John

Last edited:
SoapyQueen15, please don't be discouraged by the initial comments. This is a good forum and no, they don't usually sugar coat things but it's not to be mean. The fact that you don't know things like soap making terms, oil characteristics, testing, etc means that you should study more until you know your craft inside and out. A lye heavy soap can harm someone. Customers will ask questions and if you can't answer them, your business won't go far. Most of the people on here are extremely experienced and knowledgeable and if you stay, you can learn a lot from them. Best wishes!

I am not sure but here is my basic recipe.
32 oz oil (I used for this particular batch; 22 oz CO and 10 oz Canola)
4 oz Lye
10 oz Water
(And whatever else you want to add...)

It is useful to learn how to convert your recipes in percentages. When you know how to do this, you can change the size of the recipe easily. Making little batches means you don't need to use so many of your resources while you are learning.

I have converted this recipe for you, and it gave some interesting numbers. As much as it is high in coconut, the recipe is also very heavily superfatted.

Wherever you got this recipe from, the person knew to add the superfat to help counteract the drying effect of the coconut. This doesn't make it a great recipe, but at least you will be able to try it out and see what you think (keep a notebook and record your recipes, notes and tests on how it feels - these will be useful to you if you are going to keep going with this and you will be surprised how much the feel changes over the coming weeks).

Anyway, your recipe is:
69% Coconut Oil
31% Canola Oil
29% Lye concentration
25% Superfat

For your trial batches, go small, but not too small - about 400grams is a good sized trial batch - it's enough batter that you can get a stick blender into it (important for the slower recipes) and still be able to manage the required measurement accuracy (the smaller the batch, the bigger impact even a tiny variance can make to the final results).

... what do you all do with practice batches? Because it cost money to get supplies for practice batches too.

As Primrose said, use them!

It hasn't been mentioned here, but you will also need to learn a little on the essential oils you are using as well - some of them have safety limits on use and others just disappear in cold process soap (the scent doesn't stay).

Good luck! With your determination, you will get there - just do as the others have suggested and read up as much as you can on the qualities that the oils and additives bring to your soap.

This thread is a great read for a beginner: https://www.soapmakingforum.com/thr...ou-give-to-your-beginning-soaping-self.62916/

[Edited to correct quote brackets]

Last edited:
I understand stand all of your conserns but for myself being a minor (under 16) and been doing this for a total of under 11 months I think you could soften your comments a bit. All it is really doing is discouraging me since I have to buy all my supplies my self from a extremly meager allowence and we dont even do Xmas so that is not a reason. I am a part of another forum for another hobby and they are much more kind in the way they word there corrective criticism posts. They understand that people make mistakes especially newbies. Please lighten up folks! I'm just a beginner. Never said anybody had to use my soap, just asking for a few kind advice posts. I am thinking of leaving this forum btw, I can figure out my business alone as well as not.

Thanks, at least someone understands.
I agree with soapy queen.. some of you have been snarky, some condescending even snide, shame on you. None of you so far have offered her resources, or links to free tools... I think her soaps look great and just need time to cure.. worse come to worse she could even make Laundry soap with the coconut oil soap.. she could even make another more balanced bar and then combine them to make a double milled soap. So many options. We should Nuture newbies please! Pm me soapy queen if you have any questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back