My soap smells like rubbing alcohol!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bronwyn Cole

Reaction score
Hi everyone! So, I'm brand new, and have been making melt and pour for about 2 weeks now. I've made a TON of soap, but I keep running into a problem with my soaps colored with mica or activated charcoal. I'm suspending the mica or charcoal in a small amount of rubbing alcohol so it won't clump. When I noticed the smell in my finished soaps, I started using less alcohol, however, my soaps still have that smell when they're done. I've found that leaving them out for awhile helps the smell evaporate, but then when I package the soaps in my resealable zip plastic bags and leave them for awhile, the smell is back when opening the bag. This is going to be bad for business if the first thing someone smells when they open the bag and sniff is rubbing alcohol!

My melt and pour soap, goat milk and shea butter, has a distinct smell which can be felt after bath, is it normal or my base is not good enough. I have used required EOs, yet no respite. Please help!!!

Back