My soap seized again

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jennfromoz

Reaction score
Well I made a large batch today, 1000ml. I used the attached ingredients and all went well until I added the fragrance oil which was supposed to be formulated for soap, photos attached. As soon as I did that my soap seized.
I am totally peeved off. I ordered 500ml of this oil, and had it shipped from Germany, and this costs me heaps. If I can't use it in soap, what am I going to do with it?
Is there any additive I can use to stop it from seizing?
I would appreciate your advice. Thanks.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211026-154114_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211026-154114_Chrome.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 48
  • Screenshot_20211026-201700_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211026-201700_Chrome.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 50
  • Screenshot_20211026-201600_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211026-201600_Chrome.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 41
I think I recognise the packaging; mystic moments? I have a couple of their FOs and they seem legit enough, but I would always recommend testing because you never know how a FO will react with your specific recipe.
I haven't tried it myself but I've read that diluting your FO in a portion of the liquid oils can help to avoid seizing.

I've not made hot process soap before. Maybe I should give it a try.
When it seized I did a quick google search and was advised to add water to thin it out which I did. I divided it in 5 and coloured it and plopped it into molds. I'm sure the soap will be usable, but I guess I'll have to wait to see how it turns out. I was hoping to use these as Christmas gifts.

Attachments

• 20211026_211735.jpg
    20211026_211735.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 33
  • 20211026_211756.jpg
    20211026_211756.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 31
Hrm. HP soap would just look just like this, it's not the best friend of individual silicone moulds or intricate colour designs. But at least you would know beforehand what will happen, you can arrange with it and prepare everything. And, most importantly, add the fragrance not until the saponification has taken place, so it can't annoy you.

I would like to try making transparent soap which needs the hot process. I would however like to be confident with the cold process soap, but I have alot to learn.

Not 1000 ml, 1000 grams. ML is a volume measurement. Not trying to be the 'measurement police' here, but it does make a difference.

When I first started soap making, Rustic Escentuals was having a FO sale so I bought a ton of 1oz FOs. Hubby is really picky about scent because they can bring on massive headaches so when he smelled the Pearberry and loved it, I immediately bought a 16oz bottle of it. My batch was bigger...50 oz (1500g) of oils, two color swirl. Made the batter, separated it, added the color, added the FO and...it turned into concrete. What the heck?!? I destroyed the bowl when I tried chipping the soap out. Fortunately my stick blender was a two piece one so I was able to boil the 'stick' portion to get the soap off of it.

After I got everything cleaned up, I went back to the website and read the description: Severe acceleration, no discoloration.

Lesson #1 - ALWAYS check the descriptions (and reviews) before purchasing.

Lesson #2 - Regardless of descriptions/reviews, ONLY purchase a 'trial' size or 1 oz and then make a test batch.

I did find that I could use the FO in my Goat Milk Soap. I don't use colorants in my GMS and I soap at a really low temp. I still have acceleration, but working quickly I can get it poured into the mold before it sets up. Still have half of bottle of it.

And course, I'm a bit of a slow learner and did it a second time. Bought a 1oz FO, smelled it, immediately purchased a 16oz bottle. Now I did read the description where it said it contained 6.8% Vanilla and discolored to brown, but figured it couldn't be that brown since I had a FO with 9.2% Vanilla and it was a light-medium brown. But at least this time I made a test batch first. Went to check on it two hours later and OMG...it was a DARK BROWN and it smelled awful! I was ready to cry since it had cost me around $30.00 and now I would have to toss it because of the smell. But I went ahead and unmolded/cut it and tossed the bars on a high shelf. Two months later...it was still a dark brown, but the scent I fell in love with had returned.

Lesson #1 - ALWAYS check the descriptions (and reviews) before purchasing.

Lesson #2 - Regardless of descriptions/reviews, ONLY purchase a 'trial' size or 1 oz and then make a test batch FIRST and let it cure.

Sorry about your soap' what I do working w/ FO or EO that are little tyrants' knowing the freeze is coming' stir your FO last into your soap batter as quick as possible & pour into mold. I have found many of the peach' nectarines' mangosteen type scents have a tendency to accelerate your soap.
I do have a soap I call So' Peachy it's my signature scent, hence the Name & Ive tried a few well maybe several, Ive just learned to work real quick.

Last edited:
There are a couple of things you can try to prevent a batch from seizing FO.

1) Add the FO to the castor portion (or similar) at least an hour ahead of time or even overnight. Then add it at trace (CP) or after the cook (HP). Stir for one full minute to get it thoroughly mixed in, then pour.

2) Add the FO to warmed oils, SB for a full minute before adding the lye solution.

I see you're using a 40% lye concentration. In that case, I would have the difference between that amount of water vs. full water (38% Water as % of Oils) handy to dump in if it starts seizing. Cold water works best.

Whatever you do when it happens, don't panic. Take a beat and think about it before deciding what to do.

WHEN A BATCH SEIZES AKA "SOAP ON A STICK"

Is your water ratio 1.5 to 1? You could try making a mini batch with the fragrance oil with a 2.25 to 1 ratio and see if that batch seizes. That’s the ratio I have been using for the butterfly swirl challenge, and it has been a game changer for fluid batter and no seizing. (I usually use a steeper water discount.) My thought is you could use the imported fragrance with more water and a quick pour into a log mold or slab mold. A mini test batch could be poured into your shaped molds.

Well I just did an experiment. I made 300ml soap, divided and coloured them. In the peach one I put the same FO that I used before and in the yellow one I put essential oil that I've used before and never had problems with. I think the photo speaks for itself.

Attachments

• 20211028_173259.jpg
    20211028_173259.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 16
Well I just did an experiment. I made 300ml soap, divided and coloured them. In the peach one I put the same FO that I used before and in the yellow one I put essential oil that I've used before and never had problems with. I think the photo speaks for itself.
Sure does! I guess it's a bit late now, but when starting out, or when i try a new FO, I order a 30ml bottle, which is enough for one batch of soap. If I like the oil i will get a 50ml bottle next time. If I still really like it and decide i want to keep making soap with that fragrance, I order a 100ml bottle. I don't foresee I would ever buy a 500ml bottle of any FO. I make 2 - 3 batches of soap per week on average, and I think it would take me over a year to use a 500ml bottle, given that I don't make the same scented soap each time.

Latest posts

Back