My soap keeps foaming up!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeltlineYYC

Reaction score
I've looked around but I can't find any help on this topic, so asking here seemed a good idea. Typing "foaming soap" inot Google comes up with hundreds of results, but none of them are any help! I've done two batches of CP soap in the last few days that have both foamed up on me, so I must be doing something wrong.

The first batch started to foam like crazy as soon as I started to pour the lye solution into the oils. It died down with a LOT of persuasion from my stick blender, and I eventually got it to trace and poured it into the mold. About ten minutes later it foamed up again, but nowhere near as bad, then settled back down.

I thought I might've let impatience get the better of me and mixed the lye and oils too hot, so for tonight's batch (same recipe), I waited a good while longer, letting both the oils and the lye solution cool down quite a bit. There was no foaming in the pot this time, and the batch came to trace quite quickly. It looked like butterscotch pudding when I poured it into the mold, and I was pretty happy with it. Unfortunately, a few minutes after I had turned to the sink to start cleaning up, the batch foamed up in a big way and bubble out of the mold all over the counter. I got it to settle back down by stirring it over the sink... but at this point I figure I've got to be doing something wrong.

My oils are a blend of Veg. shortening, coconut oil, olive oil, and beeswax, superfatted with a little grapeseed. The first batch foamed before the grapeseed was added. Any ideas?

I have found when I use veg. shortening that I get a thin, white, foamy-like surface of bubbles as the oil heats in the pot, and even after adding my lye water. However it does go away as I keep mixing, especially if I swirl my spoon over the surface. It's not like you describe, though. If you can post a picture, it might help some of the more experienced soapers to identify the problem.

are you using any additives or extras?
fragrance oil?

what is the source of your lye?

of what material are your pot and mold made?

I use veg shortening in my soaps and I always add my lye when both oils and lye are only lukewarm - around room temp, and,as yet, I haven't had that problem. :wink:

Thanks for the responses. I don't have a photo... kinda tricky to take a picture when you're trying to keep hot soap from pouring out all over the place! :oops:

Anyway, my lye comes from a local soapmaking supply shop (www.soapandmore.com) and my pot is a big stainless steel stock pot. I'm using a wooden mold lined with freezer paper, but like I said, the first time this happened as soon as I started pouring lye solution into the pot, so I don't think that would be the culprit. I haven't added any fragrances, additives or extras to these batches.

I checked last night's batch first thing this morning and it looks fine now. I'm thinking I'm just mixing while the oils are still too hot?

I am still learning but I think you may be working too hot. The two times I had this happen my oil and lye were over 130 degrees F. One of those times I think the mold I was using kept it too hot so it “boiled” over the mold. I hope this helps you some. Good luck.

I've looked around but I can't find any help on this topic, so asking here seemed a good idea. Typing "foaming soap" inot Google comes up with hundreds of results, but none of them are any help! I've done two batches of CP soap in the last few days that have both foamed up on me, so I must be doing something wrong.

The first batch started to foam like crazy as soon as I started to pour the lye solution into the oils. It died down with a LOT of persuasion from my stick blender, and I eventually got it to trace and poured it into the mold. About ten minutes later it foamed up again, but nowhere near as bad, then settled back down.

I thought I might've let impatience get the better of me and mixed the lye and oils too hot, so for tonight's batch (same recipe), I waited a good while longer, letting both the oils and the lye solution cool down quite a bit. There was no foaming in the pot this time, and the batch came to trace quite quickly. It looked like butterscotch pudding when I poured it into the mold, and I was pretty happy with it. Unfortunately, a few minutes after I had turned to the sink to start cleaning up, the batch foamed up in a big way and bubble out of the mold all over the counter. I got it to settle back down by stirring it over the sink... but at this point I figure I've got to be doing something wrong.

My oils are a blend of Veg. shortening, coconut oil, olive oil, and beeswax, superfatted with a little grapeseed. The first batch foamed before the grapeseed was added. Any ideas?
I just made my second batch ever and had the same problem. So, I'm here with the same question although I'm doing hot process liquid soap, same as last time. I used palm kernel oil and sunflower oil. Same NaOH as before, and it didn't do this last time, but I did use different oils before. The biggest difference, however, was I added sage essential oil and a tiny bit of thyme this time. Google is useless because it doesn't work like it used to. It gives most popular results instead of best match.
Ps: if you sell your soap make sure you include wax in the ingredients. Wax paper is usually made with soy wax, these days. In the US, the paper will not say on the package if it is soy wax since 89% of every soybean is legally "soy-free". Ive started making soap just to finally have soap I'm not allergic to. If you're in the US, you probably aren't legally obligated to list the wax from the wax paper on your soap, but it will protect you from getting attacked by some parent furious about a child's anaphylaxis. Fyi: the myth that people can't be allergic to soybean oil and such has been disproven. Let me know if you want more info on that.

I just made my second batch ever and had the same problem. So, I'm here with the same question although I'm doing hot process liquid soap, same as last time. I used palm kernel oil and sunflower oil. Same NaOH as before, and it didn't do this last time, but I did use different oils before. The biggest difference, however, was I added sage essential oil and a tiny bit of thyme this time. Google is useless because it doesn't work like it used to. It gives most popular results instead of best match.
Ps: if you sell your soap make sure you include wax in the ingredients. Wax paper is usually made with soy wax, these days. In the US, the paper will not say on the package if it is soy wax since 89% of every soybean is legally "soy-free". Ive started making soap just to finally have soap I'm not allergic to. If you're in the US, you probably aren't legally obligated to list the wax from the wax paper on your soap, but it will protect you from getting attacked by some parent furious about a child's anaphylaxis. Fyi: the myth that people can't be allergic to soybean oil and such has been disproven. Let me know if you want more info on that.
The person you are quoting hasn't been here in 8 yrs, so not likely to see your quoted post to them. If you'd like an answer to your question it would be better to start a new thread.

Back