My soap isn't ruined- but why?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ugeauxgirl

Reaction score
I made an absolutely gorgeous batch of soap. When I was transferring the recipe from the lye calculator to my notebook, I realized that I forgot to add the castor oil- 5%. The superfat was 3%. I figured that the lye isn't 100% pure as the calculator assumes, so I subtracted a percent for that. That still gives me slightly (-1) lye heavy soap. I did use a little oil to disperse the oxide colorants, but there was a lot of uncolored batter. And of course Fragrance oil. I zap tested it (on the uncolored batter and it's fine). Any guesses as to what saved it?
PXL_20210911_205019860.jpg

How long ago was it made? I understand a slightly lye heavy soap will become neutral over time as the excess lye reacts with the site, but I get the impression that happens over a timeframe of weeks, so if you've just made this then maybe the lye was even less pure than you thought?

also, doesn't the superfat help mitigate some of that? Since the Castor oil was only 5% (and not a butter or oil that would have taken up say 35%).

All the factors you mentioned - including lye purity, superfat, and oils for dispersing colorant - probably kept your soap from being lye-heavy. Hooray!! It is very pretty. 🤩

How long ago was it made? I understand a slightly lye heavy soap will become neutral over time as the excess lye reacts with the site, but I get the impression that happens over a timeframe of weeks, so if you've just made this then maybe the lye was even less pure than you thought?
Made it 2 days ago. Could be right about the lye.

Thanks all. I'm so glad it's not zappy. My husband's niece asked for a couple of batches for wedding favors. I didn't have time to do it again- cause my WSP order, 🤬.

Latest posts

Back