My soap is making my hands feel dry right after use but my skin feels softer later?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You may not like the answers given, but that doesn't mean others were being 'snarky'...

If you come here asking questions, be prepared for the answers..if you don't like the answers, then move on. And no, that's not being 'snarky', that's being blunt and to the point honest.

^This! No one is being snarky. There was not one word of sarcasm in there. It is not our fault that you don't like the answers we give. You came and asked, we answered. If you don't like the answers, it is your problem. And frankly, calling people snarky when you don't like what we say is indicative more of who you are than who we are.

Had you done even the bare minimum of research, you would have known the answer to your question, as well as our opinion of people who make one batch of soap and think they need to sell it. You could have avoided the whole issue with just a little bit of effort.

Last edited:
^^^^
I have to agree with the others above me. You came here asking questions and got the proper answers, however you didn't get the answers you wanted. No snarky remarks, just the truth. There are way more helpful, patient, giving folks here than on many other forums.

We love helping each other here, however the majority of us have worked long and hard to get to the point where we are with our soapmaking. Many of us didn't have a lot of help and just learned from trial and error.

So, you can take the information you are given or continue to ignore it. It's totally up to you.

Or you could just not be snarky at all and give advice in a more friendly manner. Considering you have more experience.

Or you could be an adult and just ignore what you consider to be "snarky." You are, after all, on a free site asking a bunch of strangers for their advice and expertise and not paying them for it. Not one single person here has to respond to any question. Everyone does because they love to make soap and want to pass that passion and knowledge on to others of a like mind. I fully intend to make a living selling soap. I started making soap in April, 2015. I've read countless books and watched tons of videos before I ever purchased any supplies. I've played with SoapCalc and made different one pound batches of recipes of my own creations. Now, I'm starting to delve into colors and fragrances. However, I have seven years to perfect my recipes and techniques before I need to make a living at making soap. I will have a business plan, insurance and my own soaping facility before I do that. I may sell some bars here and there at yard sales and farmers markets before then, but soap is not something I am taking lightly. Maybe I'm overly cautious; however, I am grateful for the men and women on this site that have answered my stupid questions, put up with my strange sense of humor and welcomed me to the club. I have learned more from these posts and threads than any videos or books. Some things have been said that have rubbed me the wrong way; however, I don't take it personally. These people do not know me, nor I them. What one takes as a heartfelt plea or warning, another may interpret as a scolding or spitefulness. I don't think there is anyone on here that says anything to be deliberately mean or demeaning. To anyone. Brand new poster or sage-old wise one. But that's just my opinion.

You'll not do yourself any good insulting people you've asked for advice, whether or not you like the advice given. It's in line with biting the hand that feeds you. If you'd search the board, you'd know how the membership feels about selling when you are only learning. You aren't doing yourself or your business any favours selling a product you haven't mastered. Soaping has a learning curve and even the most experience soapmakers have spectacular failures. What to do with those failures, when to save them, when to toss them, knowing what to do comes with the experience of hundreds and thousands of batches. There's no short cut for experience.

I did not post b/c I realized it was an old thread. But it does amaze me how often this comes up, people posting, saying they have a few batches or a few months in and that they plan to sell, and then getting shirty when they are told it is a bad idea. It indicates that they have not spent much time lurking - a mistake, IMO, you need to know the culture of a board before you post. Also, ALL of the soap boards frown on selling too soon, for the same reasons the people on this one do.

I think we need a sticky on the CP board in big huge bold letters saying:

"IF YOU HAVE BEEN COLD-PROCESS SOAPING FOR LESS THAN A YEAR, PLEASE DO NOT POST ABOUT SELLING. For why, click here."

Last edited:
Just my 2 cents to my fellow newbies, but I saw no snarkiness from responders, and I'm a newbie, to the forum and soaping.

I'm here to learn, share, and enjoy camaraderie with fellow artisans about a topic I enjoy. I assume if I ask questions or post progress, that I will have feedback, and due to the format, not all comments will come across as "smiley". It's the written word in a forum, comments can lose some of their intended voice when posted in such a way. But either way, if I don't want feedback, I don't post. Good or bad, you post on an open forum, you're gonna get replies. I can't see taking offense at recommendations from people with more experience in an area you're venturing into. Just my opinion.

I know not everyone plans the way I do, but I'm a firm believer in thinking ahead so I plan the hell outta things LOL.

I want to make soap for many reasons, ranging from personal wants to being in love with the artistry of it. In my Soap Diary (don't laugh, lol, it's my method of researching and planning things), I have plans for selling eventually, but they are so far down the line that it's not even worth discussing yet. Long before getting to the selling stage, is a very long list of desired soaps (including their properties and potential recipes, design, color, scents, etc) that I want to make. I will have a long road just working through a small portion of that list, to work out quirks and perfect them, before I ever feel ready to actually sell on an open market level. I can't imagine having my first two batches under my belt and thinking I was ready to sell.

I've spent years perfecting my skills in the other areas I create in, and I didn't begin selling any of those until I could do them in my sleep. I can't imagine doing anything less with soaping.

Latest posts

Back