My Soap is dirty how do I fix this?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Soapinator

Reaction score
I can't seem to make my soap all nice and clean could someone please help me understand why i'm being a melon.

I USED TO BE ADDICTED TO SOAP...... BUT I AM CLEAN NOW!

I'm sorry that was a bad joke, very serious about cleaning my soap, please and thanks x

What exactly do you mean by dirty soap? That might be a good place to start. Pictures also might help.

I do not understand what you mean? Did it fall on the ground? Is it stained from the mold? Do you have a picture?

As you can see my soap is fluffy and very dirty, I also broke it by mistake

Attachments

• C320078E-4FFB-4242-9CF5-3F878A211FDA.jpeg
    C320078E-4FFB-4242-9CF5-3F878A211FDA.jpeg
    70.3 KB · Views: 89
Is that a single bar of soap which is getting dirty with use? Or a new block that came out like that?

This is soap you made? Do you have the recipe?

I would guess the mold was dirty before the soap was poured. Always rinse your molds before making soap, they gather dust and lint.

If the dirt and fuzz is all through the soap, toss it and make a new batch. Make sure everything is clean.

I will rinse my moulds and try again hopefully this time I’ll have some clean soap

Troubleshooting any problem requires breaking it down to different components and examining them. So a few questions:

1) What water or liquid are you using for your lye solution? Distilled water is generally recommended; so if you're using spring or tap, your water may contain minerals that affect the final outcome.
2) What oils are you using? Specifically I ask because I know someone locally to me who employs used peanut oil from his deep fryer. He has some process that cleanses the oil (I don't know him well or what this process is). If you've been trying to cleanse the oil, you might not be cleansing it well enough.
3) What additives, if any, are you using? Could those be clumping / not incorporating well?
4) How do you clean your tools before / after soap making?

1) washing up liquid
2) Coconut oil
3) Salt
4) I use soap most of the time

1) What is "washing up liquid"? Is it distilled water? Is it water plus washing soda, baking soda, etc.?
2) Straight from the jar or used in any way prior to soap making? Coconut oil exclusively or a blend with anything? What kind of coconut oil: 76 degree, fractionated, etc.?
3) What kind of salt? What size grains?
4) Do you wash everything by hand? Run it through a dishwashing machine? Would you describe it as thorough? Do you disinfect or rinse anything before making soap?
5)(New) What kind of tools are you using: silicone, wood, plastic, etc.? How old are they?

To be blunt... you should be a bit more elaborate about your process here. Soap making, like computers and other things, can be VERY complex and affected by even otherwise unimportant seeming factors. To get the most effective assistance from a forum you will want to be more forthcoming with information.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding... Are you asking how to prevent these kinds of "dirt" from appearing in future soaps... or how to literally remove the blemish / dirt from this existing bar?

If the latter, anything on the surface can and should come off with a quick rinse and rub.
Anything that is embedded in the soap (like some of those dark spots) will come out as they come to the surface through use. You can't really get them out now that I know of. If they bother you, you'll probably have to pitch the batch.

If the former, that's the point of the questions. To identify the source of the "dirt" so it can be eliminated from your process before you make a new batch.

Ah. Yeah the term I am familiar with would be dish soap for something like that. Also not a thing I would put in a hand made soap so it never even was a consideration that this might be the thing referenced...
I suspect it may be time for this thread to be locked tbh, I've gone past the point where I believe this is a genuine person in need of help.

Okay but how do I clean my soap👉🏼👈🏼
I don't know about everyone else but I'm confused and I wonder, based on your location, if it's a matter of a slight language barrier.
Perhaps answering these questions will clarify the information you seek.
1.) When you say, "How do I clean my soap", I think you're asking how to remove the dirt specs within your soap.
If I am correct, then do a search for "salting out soap", or do as Obsidian suggested and throw it away and try again.
2.) I too think that the ingredients you used are confusing me. Please post your complete recipe, including exactly what you used for water. Making soap with store bought liquid dish washing detergent, also known as "washing up liquid" is strange to say the least. I wonder if you meant that you use washing up liquid to clean your molds..??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back