my soap has yellow spots why?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kalpanaganesan

Reaction score
i made a soap with pomace olive oil and coconut oil .It has been 19 days after curing.I see some yellow spots like oil in the soap.ofcourse initally i used a manual blender and is it because of that.I have attached pictures of the same.can someone give me the reason

Attachments

• 20200731_133411.jpg
    20200731_133411.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 20200731_133431.jpg
    20200731_133431.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 26
What do you mean 19 days after curing? Did you cure them for 4-6 weeks and it's now 19 days later or just curing them for 19 days so far? Did you add any FO? What are you curing them on? Did you use any additives? It looks like DOS but it doesn't generally show in a short period of time.

Thanks for your reply
yes i used cedar fragrance oil and lavender essential oil.I mean it has been 19 days after i took out of the mold.i dint use any other additives .i made only small quantity hence no problem but i have to overcome in my next batch.

It may be that the fragrance didn't get mixed in properly. What are you curing your soap on? 19 days is likely too early for DOS unless you're curing on metal or theres a lot of heat and humidity etc...

That really does look like DOS and not fragrance.
I know sometimes lavender essential oil can cause DOS, maybe make another small batch and leave it out.

I once had a unscented batch of castile get DOS in two weeks. It was a fresh bottle of oil and it was curing on the same rack I've used for years.

That really does look like DOS and not fragrance.
I know sometimes lavender essential oil can cause DOS, maybe make another small batch and leave it out.

I once had a unscented batch of castile get DOS in two weeks. It was a fresh bottle of oil and it was curing on the same rack I've used for years.
Thank you .
And for curing can i place it in a kitchen tissue and cover the same using a cloth.I placed the entire setup in a plastic tray.Is it okay for a beginner.can i go for sandal wood essential oil or rosemary essential oil instead of lavender.

I would leave the soap uncovered while curing, to let the air circulate around it. Turning the soap every couple of days will also help.

Back