My soap exploded

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The foil doesn’t touch the soap, I put cling wrap on first. The foil is to insulate it.
I have to second what @dibbles said...you didn't say that. You have to remember that there are thousands of people around the world who use this site as a reference resource. They may search for "can I use aluminum foil to insulate my soap" and your post above will pop up and they will think "it's okay" and move on. It's part of the reason why my posts can get a little 'wordy' at times, because I often include the 'why' of what I do or don't do. Like I use cookies sheets and baking trays to cure my soaps, but I always mention that they are double lined with freezer paper because I don't want folks thinking that it's okay to use them without.

And even with plastic wrap/cling wrap/saran wrap...I still would NOT use aluminum foil on of the off chance I got any raw soap batter on it because even a small amount is going to cause a reaction. Maybe not enough to cause a danger, but why take the chance when there are so many safer alternatives available?

If insulation is what you want, you'd be better off using a thick cloth or something else that holds in heat without posing a risk of harmful fumes or a chemical fire.

Last edited:
@vivhalaska there was no mention of plastic wrap being used between the soap and the foil. @AliOop and @TheGecko were right to point out that aluminum and soap batter can create a dangerous situation. Even if OP knows this, someone who doesn't could easily read it and assume it is okay to do that.
Of course I should have mentioned it and apologise that I didn’t.

Hello! New here! Thanks to all for pointing out the "incompatibilities" of lye and aluminum. I will be sure to remove any aluminum trays and foil from my soap process. Just in case of drips or splashes.
Thanks for keeping me safe!!
I learned this the hard way.....lye and aluminum creates HYDROGEN gas....

Another one of my hobbies is knitting and crocheting....so I happened to have some odd knitting needles (that are made out of aluminum). I thought I would use one to stir and create some swirls. I was shocked at the gas coming from my mixture. Obviously survived to tell the tale but holy moley once I realized what I did.....

Back