My sister thought she was a dog

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derpina Bubbles

Reaction score
Apparently. I gave her one of my neem and avocado doggy soaps I made to try on her dog Rass. Now, before anyone asks, the soaps are stamped with a dog paw. Hard to miss. I did tell her that the ingredients are a bit lush for pooches but they were made for sensitive dogs and I was playing around.

She messaged me last night - "I've been washing my hair with your dog soap. Fantastic! Not only do I now have a shiny coat but I'm not scratching behind my ears anymore!!"

Mmmmmkay.

I checked. She was serious. She had scalp issues and now doesn't. Now these suckers have 20% neem oil in them. Is that ok for people to use regularly? Would there be long term issues at that %?

I told her I would make her a human shampoo bar minus the paw stamp. Might look better in the shower. She wants it to be the same recipe cause it works. I'm wondering also if any decent CP shampoo might do the trick because she reacts to preservatives in all products.

*As the soaps were made for sensitive dogs and she is female and chose to use them, I will, as a matter of sisterly principal, be teasing her for being a bit of a sensitive b%&$# from now on.

LOL nuzzle. Newbie it's well cured so just smells a tad bit nutty. It's like scent matching for personalities. Sad part is I'll have to make more neem soap. I hate the smell of that stuff fresh out the bottle.

I washing my own hair and my portugese waterdog with neem bars from the same batch. I've dreadlocks and my dog is a seuch (champion.) We are both clean with good non itching scalp/skin and good hair quality.

Ah Derpina, I have been away from SMF for a while, and wondered how you are. I wondered about your sanity level- is it fine? has it taken a dive due to stress? This post affirms that all is well with you, all is fine and normal :) you make me laugh :)

I washing my own hair and my portugese waterdog with neem bars from the same batch. I've dreadlocks and my dog is a seuch (champion.) We are both clean with good non itching scalp/skin and good hair quality.

I had to Google Portuguese waterdogs to see what they looked like and awww, very cute & cool looking pooches. I will probably stick to the same recipe too but will add a bit of essential oil to the human batch, for scent and added benefits.

She thinks she's a dog? Wow, that's ruff!

*Groans. Goes to type response, rereads pun and just groans again*

Ah Derpina, I have been away from SMF for a while, and wondered how you are. I wondered about your sanity level- is it fine? has it taken a dive due to stress? This post affirms that all is well with you, all is fine and normal :) you make me laugh :)

Hiya, I've had a couple of quiet forum days as well. All is well, sane as I'll ever be, which isn't saying much :lol:. Hope you're all good too.

I just met up with my sister for coffee and told her I posted this. She laughed but I'm half expecting her to sign up to the forum so she can unleash sibling hell.

I would like to make some neem soap for my furry loved one. I do hp so when would I add the neem so it wouldn't get eaten by the lye? I'm finding it hard to get my soap from the crock to my mold before it starts to set up/harden on me. It's a pain trying to add scents, colors, etc. Thanks in advance for yall's advice. I love this story :) It's great to be able to make our little ones their own soap. I worry about what they put into pet products when there are so many recalls.

I guess I'm a dog, too. I use the same recipe that I use on my puppers. Of course mine does not have a paw print on it. But neither does theirs. (I tell our bars apart by the doggie hair on theirs.)

Oh that's too funny! I have scalp issues to so it's good to know that a high percentage neem bar can help. Does the smell die down a lot after curing, enough where it can be masked by the smell of essential oils?

I would like to make some neem soap for my furry loved one. I do hp so when would I add the neem so it wouldn't get eaten by the lye? I'm finding it hard to get my soap from the crock to my mold before it starts to set up/harden on me. It's a pain trying to add scents, colors, etc. Thanks in advance for yall's advice. I love this story :) It's great to be able to make our little ones their own soap. I worry about what they put into pet products when there are so many recalls.

I'm not much of a HP soaper sorry, I stick to CP, so not sure. The neem still seems to be doing a good job with CP soap. The good thing with dog soaps is you can skip the colours (they don't care) and they are sensitive to EOs and can be to FOs so just skip them when making their soap. If you do use em, go for about 1%. EOs are toxic for cats so if you want to use it on both definitely skip the EOs.

I guess I'm a dog, too. I use the same recipe that I use on my puppers. Of course mine does not have a paw print on it. But neither does theirs. (I tell our bars apart by the doggie hair on theirs.)

LOL! Yeah the before and after look of the dog soap is awesome. After washing 2 labs the soap bar looks like a disgruntled muppet.

Oh that's too funny! I have scalp issues to so it's good to know that a high percentage neem bar can help. Does the smell die down a lot after curing, enough where it can be masked by the smell of essential oils?

Oh boy, that fresh neem smell :sick:. Yep it eases off after a fairly short time thankfully. My 1st time using it I came close to tossing the batch in disgust. Then it developed a slightly nutty smell. It's a weird nutty smell, but totally doable. I still keep them away from my other soaps because it's a strong smell. If you're making neem soap for human use I'd go for some EOs for sure to enhance the smell. I'm trying to figure out what will go with the nutty smell before I make my next batch because I think the neem will still come through a bit. I might go with peppermint, rosemary and lavender blended together.

"... I'm trying to figure out what will go with the nutty smell..."

Pine tar? :twisted:

OMG evil. I had a mouthful of crackers when I read that and now my screen is lightly coated in Jatz.

This sounds like a recipe for the worlds stinkiest soap. I'd like to nominate adding seaweed powder to the neem and Pine tar. I have a big stench filled bag of the stuff and can't bring myself to use it. Those 3 together would smell special I'm sure.

"... I'm trying to figure out what will go with the nutty smell..."

Pine tar? :twisted:

If he's anything like my old pooch the scent he always seemed to get covered in was skunk. Probably wouldn't be a big seller though. Maybe unless you sold tomato soap with it? :)

Some Tea-tree and tons of Litsea for humans and tea-tree rosemary for dogs. In some books neem do not recommended for cats at all. Cats adsorb oils true them skin.
I have couple guys customers who like doggy soaps with neem on themselves to :) they everywhere lol

Actually, I just bought 'a wild soap bar' of pine tar-neem oil soap. Wanted to 1-see what it smelled like, and 2- see if it was good on my eczema before bothering to buy those ingredients.

Yes, it is kinda strong. It smells kinda like the smoky scent of going outside in the woods in winter when people have their wood stoves going and you can smell the pine trees all around you.

They have theirs mixed with tea tree oil as well. Altogether, although it is strong, I don't find it unpleasant. I think they might have cedarwood or something mixed in too, but don't have the wrapper with me.

Latest posts

Back