My shaving soap is too sudsy

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapGator

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm brand new here and fairly new to soapmaking in general. I have been trying lots of different bath and shaving soap recipes. I nailed the bath soap from the start but am having trouble with the shaving soap. I'm on my 10th recipe variation and all of them are too "sudsy". So much so that the lather actually makes a noise like dish soap. I'm looking for a very creamy, rich lather. Any thoughts on tweeking my recipe would be greatly appreciated. Here is my latest recipe (first column is percentage and second column is ounces):
Shaving soap % oz
Coconut Oil 0.45 36
Shea Butter 0.15 12
Castor 0.35 28
Glycerin % over 100% oils 0.1 8
Stearic Acid 0.005 0.4
Sodium Hydroxide 0.4 4.48
Potassium Hydroxide 0.6 9.42
Fragrance 4% 0.04 3.2
Distilled Water 25.08

Not sure if matters but I'm adding the glycerin by hand AFTER I reach trace

You don't have remotely enough stearic and palmitic acid in that recipe -- it's basically a bath soap recipe with waaaaaay too much castor oil. Take Newbie's advice and read that thread -- I bet you'll get some good ideas.

PS -- Just one post per topic is enough. Pick the most likely forum and ask once. It's way too confusing to deal with two identical threads on two separate forums.

Latest posts

Back