My second batch of my new addiction

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kc1ble

Reaction score
Here is how the second batch turned out that I made on Saturday...
OUYhG6W.jpg

Its CP Olive Oil, Coconut Oil, Castor Oil and Palm oil with Ocean Mist FO from Natures Garden. Everything went good, I kept my temperatures up around 100* this time and got a good light trace fairly quickly. I added my fragrance oil, and even though NG listed it as slightly accelerate trace, it seemed to accelerate quite fast to a thick trace, like cold pudding texture almost instantly. I blended the FO in as quickly as possible and got it molded and wrapped. I decided to peak after and hour or two and was completely shocked by the "gelling" of my soap. My first batch, 50% lard (unscented) never made it to gel phase. This time it was hot, with a slight crack down the center of the loaf. I immediately unwrapped it and the temps started to drop. I wish I had taken a picture of the gel phase, but I never thought to. At least now I know how to tell if my soap hits the gel phase, though it is a little scary. 20 hours later, I un-molded and cut it and the crack had completely disappeared.

I've had it curing for a day or so now and it's looking good. Bars are nice and hard and the scent is definitely there.

I guess I'm off to search the web for ingredients for my next grand adventure. Thanks for all the tips and tricks I read about here every single day.

Nice job! They really look great. If you added your FO with the stick blender that's probably part of the problem. But water scents have a bad habit of accelerating so speeding up is probably the norm with this one. Either way, good work! :)

Nice batch! I think your heating and acceleration are from the FO. Oceany/Spicy/Florals are known for misbehaving. Good job on getting it molded up before it caused you big problems :D

For using a FO that accelerates, you did a really nice job. That soap looks smooth and creamy. Often, when a FO accelerates, you'll end up with lumpy, bumpy soap, which is just fine, but it doesn't look as pretty. With a known accelerator, you could always try soaping at room temp, or adding the FO to the oils and mixing in well, before adding the lye solution. Then, when you add the lye, just stir with the stick blender, to see how it's reacting, if it looks OK, give it a quick burst with the SB, then stir again. You'll get the hang of it as you go along. Now that you have one batch that gelled, and one that didn't, you'll be able to decide which you like better. It's a matter of preference, I happen to like gelled soap better, but that's just me. Congratulations on two beautiful batches!

Very nice. Beautiful white soap. I've found that sometimes NG's experience is way different than mine. I read the reviews to see what other folks expereinces have been. I recently used their Tulip fragrance and their info stated nothing about ricing/acceleration. However, as soon as I added it to my separated out batter it acted really strangely. I turned white an then had tapioca size ricing. It did blend smooth and I had time to do 4 colors but it was interesting.

Very nice! I've only made two batches so far myself and I have to say, if you cut that by hand with that knife in the background I'm jealous. Your cutting is WAY better than mine! :)

For using a FO that accelerates, you did a really nice job. That soap looks smooth and creamy. Often, when a FO accelerates, you'll end up with lumpy, bumpy soap, which is just fine, but it doesn't look as pretty. With a known accelerator, you could always try soaping at room temp, or adding the FO to the oils and mixing in well, before adding the lye solution. Then, when you add the lye, just stir with the stick blender, to see how it's reacting, if it looks OK, give it a quick burst with the SB, then stir again. You'll get the hang of it as you go along. Now that you have one batch that gelled, and one that didn't, you'll be able to decide which you like better. It's a matter of preference, I happen to like gelled soap better, but that's just me. Congratulations on two beautiful batches!

Thank you navigator9, I too think it came out fantastic. I was in a bit of a panic mode trying to work in the FO and get it in the mold, but it went well. My first batch I mixed at room temp or close and I was afraid my hard oils were beginning to solidify, though the batch seems to have turned out great as well, so I made sure to keep my temps a little higher this time.

Very nice! I've only made two batches so far myself and I have to say, if you cut that by hand with that knife in the background I'm jealous. Your cutting is WAY better than mine! :)

Haha, no, I have a miter box I made and I use my wife's pastry scraper thingy to cut it. It works quite well except my slots in the miter box are too wide so I get slightly crooked bars. I'll make an improved version soon.

Thank you navigator9, I too think it came out fantastic. I was in a bit of a panic mode trying to work in the FO and get it in the mold, but it went well. My first batch I mixed at room temp or close and I was afraid my hard oils were beginning to solidify, though the batch seems to have turned out great as well, so I made sure to keep my temps a little higher this time.

Room temp doesn't have to be exactly at the ambient temperature. My lye solution is at room temp because I usually mix it up the night before, but my oils are at the point where the oil pot is slightly warm to the touch. But yes, do check to see if your oils have gone cloudy, or there are any solid bits, if so, you'll need to warm it slightly. It's one of those things you'll get a feel for the more that you do it. You've made a great start. :thumbup:

Beautifull and clean looking (pun intended...) pieces of soap bars. Well done!

Be warned, the adiction will get worse... ;-P

Congratulations, they look awesome. For oils check local restaurant supply places. If they have what you want and what you can use you can save a bundle. Over shipping it.

Robert

They look beautiful. I love their purity. Welcome to the addiction.

Haha, no, I have a miter box I made and I use my wife's pastry scraper thingy to cut it. It works quite well except my slots in the miter box are too wide so I get slightly crooked bars. I'll make an improved version soon.

Try running a coarse cut saw through the slot on the mitre box to open up the slot just a bit. Worked for me.:)
Steve

Try running a coarse cut saw through the slot on the mitre box to open up the slot just a bit. Worked for me.:)
Steve

Kc1bie's mitre box slot are too wide.

I put thin plastic spacers in the slots and uses duct tape to hold them there. An annoing solution as they moved constantly :(
Would love to hear a better solution.

Kc1bie's mitre box slot are too wide.

I put thin plastic spacers in the slots and uses duct tape to hold them there. An annoing solution as they moved constantly :(
Would love to hear a better solution.

Gorilla glue instead of the tape. Use it sparingly. You will need to trim off any excess as it expands. You may want to put you oiled cutter in the slot while the glue on the wood and spacers sets up. That should keep things nice and snug.

Back