My salt bars are looking a little, uh, weird

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noodge

Reaction score
Hi all,

My salt bars are a whole 7 weeks old, and I've been waiting for a sunny day to get my photos done and uh, well:

20191027_143221.jpg

What on earth is going on here?

It's like the salt grains have sucked out all the pigment around them. It doesn't look as bad when wet, but looks exactly the same when it dries out again

20191027_143217.jpg

Do these look too awful to sell?

Do I call these a 'snowy mountain sunset' and pretend that I meant for them to come out that way? :D

Something else I didn't expect: the loaf was still quite soft after 9(!) hours, but I had to slice them before I went to bed or I thought I'd end up with a slab of granite in the morning!

I used 80% coconut superfatted at 18%, 50% himalayan pink salt, coloured with pink clay, cedarwood, orange and bergamot EOs for fragrance

Thoughts?

Your recipe is similar to mine, but I use sea salt which is white. My bars will have a sort of speckled appearance rather than completely uniform, I think, because the colorant doesn't incorporate into the salt like it does the oils.

But, as to selling - test a bar on yourself. I've never used it, but it is widely advised here not to use the pink Himalayan salt as it is quite sharp. I also age my salt bars 6 months before using or giving them away.

Your recipe is similar to mine, but I use sea salt which is white. My bars will have a sort of speckled appearance rather than completely uniform, I think, because the colorant doesn't incorporate into the salt like it does the oils.

But, as to selling - test a bar on yourself. I've never used it, but it is widely advised here not to use the pink Himalayan salt as it is quite sharp. I also age my salt bars 6 months before using or giving them away.

I expected the speckling, but not so much the texture...

I'm so miffed I didn't see those posts before I made the soap, or I wouldn't have bothered! Although, I've been using a bar for about a week now tand been loving it so far - No injuries as of yet! :D

Can't beat that 'shaving foam' lather! Even if it take a bit of work to get going, definitely gonna wait at least another 5 weeks before selling methinks (if I do)

I'm just such a perfectionist, I was so disappointed by how much the appearance changed :(

Since I use individual cavity molds, I don't know if the texture is the same as everyone else who cuts theirs. I love the lather of salt bars too!

That is the typical appearance of a Himalayan salt bar. Any salt bar will usually have a speckle appearance from the salt. Since you are selling in the UK I assume they have been approved by an Assor? Of course, I do not know the ins and outs of going to such hoops and if the bar itself has to be tested. Even though you have been using the bar I am not sure I would sell them takes only one piece of sharp clay in one bar to cause a nasty lawsuit. It is such a shame Himalayan salt is such a pretty color so draws so many soapmakers to it. On the other hand, it is a small chance anything will happen, if you used fine grade and are using a bar yourself they will most likely be fine. This is why we carry insurance.

I was thankful I used a bar I made a few years ago from a brand of Pacific Sea Salt I normally use and it was so prickly I could not use them. It was a fine grade but felt like tiny needles. While they did not bother my husband I had to use a bath pouf.

Looks like a normal salt bar. Even the ones I make with regular salt has that texture/speckling. Especially if the bars have been cut, individual molds will be smoother.

Personally, I wouldn't sell those. Not because of the looks or the salt used but because of the large salt on top.
I sliced my chest open with a large chunk of salt before.
It looks pretty but can be dangerous and in todays sue happy society, I wouldn't take the risk.

For what its worth, I really like the salt part of that soap. The color is pretty and I like the texture.

You better try them before you sell anything !
I try every batch before I sell- I have end cuts and use them at 4 weeks then box at 6-8 weeks.

I am surprised that the EO has lasted. Salt seems to 'eat' fragrance or alter it some.

Thanks for all your advice peeps - I don't sell as a business or anything (I feel like I'm no where near experienced enough for that yet, this is just for fun)

But I do have a group of friends very interested in the process who always want to know what I'm whipping up next and whether they can purchase a bar or two (Which I then sell at cost just to get rid of them, or I'd have nowhere to put them all!)

Looks like with these I'll tell them to only use with a pouf/washcloth, and then never use himalayan salt again (what a shame, the crystals are so pretty!)

I am surprised that the EO has lasted. Salt seems to 'eat' fragrance or alter it some.

Oh the scent has been massively misbehaving, it likes to disappear and reappear randomly it seems!

Have you noticed the same scent-eating properties in brine bars? That looks to be my next thing to try. I just love how hard these salt bars are but can't stand how they look!

Oh the scent has been massively misbehaving, it likes to disappear and reappear randomly it seems!

Have you noticed the same scent-eating properties in brine bars? That looks to be my next thing to try. I just love how hard these salt bars are but can't stand how they look!
I have not but they don't lather like the Salt bars.

Back