My salt bar mix not hardening

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aromasuzie

Reaction score
Eek, normally I use himalayan sea salt with my salt bars. I decided to go for some coarse sea salt (98%) instead, same recipe, expecting it to thicken and act like it would with the himalayan salt, but its not. What do I do? The salt content equals the weight of the oils. It's down to 88oF, with the salt sitting at the bottom and the trace quite runny.

Does anyone know how I can rescue this batch? Could I add himalayan sea salt or its it a bust? 😢

Normally, you would add the salt when the trace is thick enough to suspend it. If the batter is thin, maybe try to SB without touching the bottom where the salt is and try to get it to a thicker trace so you can then mix the salt in. I don't believe it has anything to do with the type of salt used. FWIW, many soapers do not use Himalayan salt due to it being too sharp and actually cutting people.

Thank you, I was having a brain fart moment, the SB saved the day. I didn't know about himalayan salt cutting the skin. It will be interesting to feel the difference between the two salt batches.

You also never want to use anything other than fine sea salt in salt bars, coarse sea salt is much too scratchy in salt bars so be very careful with them and I do not suggest giving any away. What adds to the sharpness of Himalayan Salt sharp is the clay which is normally found in Himalayan salt besides the salt crystals themselves being sharp. I have even run across fine Pacific Sea Salt that was very prickly and ruined two large batches of salt bars. I had to keep them for us and use them up with batch poufs. In fact, almost 3 yrs later I still have some of the bars.

I have been using the fine himalayan salt. If this coarse sea salt is too tough for human skin, I might have to wash the horses maybe, they have plenty of hair to protect their skin ;)

Latest posts

Back