My RTCP process with pictures.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lane

Reaction score
So after seeing a picture of Faithy's RTCP soap, I was inspired...I tell ya people, it was the creamiest soap I had ever seen! So I started going through the thread about rebatching to see how everyone was doing it... This is how I did it and personally, I don't think I will ever make soap any other way!

I made my lye in the morning and let it cool about three hours, to about 82 degrees. Then I blended all of my oils and butters... I tried to "cream" them, but I use high amoutns of Shea Butter and Palm kernel flakes so it was really bumpy, I turned the oven to 200 and let it sit in there for about 2 mins, just to warm it a bit so the butter and flakes were softer. The oils were at 90 degrees when I added the lye. I blended with my stick blender and trace took about 4 minutes. My trace temp was about 87 degrees. I am use to working with really high temps in my CP (about 118) so I am use to working fast and checking temps constantly! I swear, not worry about my batch seizing from heat and not holding two thermometers made this process very relaxing!!

Right after I poured in the mold:
TurkishMocha1.jpg

W/O thinking I layed the lid on my mold, and even tho air could still circulate, about 6 or seven hours, it had started to gel, and have slight ash. (but nothing like how my CP gels!)
TurkishMocha3.jpg

The next morning I removed it from the mold, I wiped of the ash with a damp paper towel, it was a nice glossy color underneath. This is a picture of the top side of the loaf and the bottom side. (notice NO wrinkles in my soap!)
TurkishMocha4.jpg

TurkishMocha5.jpg

After I sliced it, notice the outter "shell" has changed color, my FO has vanilla in it, so exposure to the air made it darker, as the soap cures, the entire bar SHOULD go to a nice shade of brown...(And I didn't have a single bit of waste from any of my bars!)
TurkishMocha.jpg

I am a hard core 'gel' person, but I think after doing it like this, with only a mild gel, I am hooked!! The whole process took about 20 minutes less time AND the soap was WAY easier to work with. Only draw back, the soap was softer when I unmolded it, so I had to let it sit about 2 hours out of the mold before I cut it. Also, a little voice in my head is saying the saponification process isn't complete without a hot gel phase (actually that's my chemist sister talking...) But, I did a tounge test and no zap! The bar feels creamier too....

Nice looking bar. That looks like my little TOG Tester Mold but isn't. nice smooth sides. Good job. I stated this method about a year ago, and now it is catching on fast. I am doing a demo this spring at a soap gathering featuring my RTCP method that is being used. So glad you liked this method too! 8)

Paul :wink:

Why thank you. :)

I thought about your little TOG mold, but needed a longer one, or was it shorter? Hmmm...the inside length needed to be eight inches...I'm waiting for your plastic one! Are you going to be offering a custom made mold?

And Yes! I am in love with this method! OoOoO More info on the soap gathering!

I will custom make any size, shape, style, anything anyone wants! 8)

I can't say anything right now about the gathering since it has not been announced yet. All I can say, the forum will be informed soon about it by either me, or, perhaps someone else. I took a pledge of silence.....for right now :p Soon! :D

Paul''

ETA: Oh, my new plastic lined permanent TOG Molds will be available in a few more weeks! They are-----revolutionary! :wink:

Very relaxing indeed- girl. Mine traces fast too this way- I'm with ya and next time I won't insulate just to see what happens- The soap looks delicious too! Great job and thanks for the info..

Great soap Lane! I am in love with this method! Also you mentioned ash, I always put a piece of plastic wrap on top of my soap. Havent had ash since!

Mickie

Soapmaker Man said:
Lane said:
Paul you are such a TEASE!!!!! :lol:

Sorry... :( I'll go ask the lady if it is OK yet. She said this weekend. I'll go check. :wink:

Paul
Haha! No worries. :D

leansoapqueen said:
Very relaxing indeed- girl. Mine traces fast too this way- I'm with ya and next time I won't insulate just to see what happens- The soap looks delicious too! Great job and thanks for the info..
It's scented Turkish Mocha, a creamy chocolate coffee type scent...I hope when it cures it looks like a nice smooth chocolate bar!

Mickie said:
Great soap Lane! I am in love with this method! Also you mentioned ash, I always put a piece of plastic wrap on top of my soap. Havent had ash since!

Mickie
If I put plastic wrap on mine, it over insulates it. :cry: That's how I always got a full gel. I am trying to stay away from gelling as I noticed my FO seems to be a lot strong... but this is only the first RTCP batch I've done... I'll have more techniques to try when my oil order comesin this week!

YOU GO GIRL !!!!!

THEY LOOK SOOOOOOOO AWESOME !!!!!!!!

YAAYYYyyyyyYYYYyyyyyyYYYYYY

WHOOOoooOOOoooooOOOOooooo HHHHHooooooOOOOOoooooooOOOooo

It really does look so delicious, soooo creamy! Perfect colour now for the scent! Don't you wish it would stay? I wonder about BCN's vanilla stabilizer????

Paul

Wow!

You guys got me wantin' to try this method. I don't know — I don't really lament over my temps, now. I just the oils and lye water within a 10 degree window, and I'm good to go.

I don't know, though...too much to think about right now! But dang, it sure does seem easy!

@Lane,

GORGEOUS soap!

@Paul

Quit being all "covert" :lol:
I want one of your "revolutionary" goodies!

Re: Wow!

NEASoapWorks said:
But dang, it sure does seem easy!

@Lane,

GORGEOUS soap!

@Paul

I want one of your "revolutionary" goodies!
Thank you. :D

And I think it's not that it's easier...just much less stressful... More relaxing!

(And yeah Paul, WE WANTS THOSE MOLDS! :twisted: )

NEASoapWorks said:

@Paul

I want one of your "revolutionary" goodies
!

Hey that cutter you wanted is ready. The rest of my molds....soon! No liners at all. The soap will just fall out of the mold onto your table. This material will be securely "glued" to the inside of the premium pine I now use! The best of both worlds; Wood for strength and insulating factors, and a "plastic" for nice slick soap surfaces and everything else these HDPE mold makers rave about, at a much lower cost! Best of both worlds.
I'm so excited! :D Sorry for the hijack! :oops:

Soapmaker Man said:
It really does look so delicious, soooo creamy! Perfect colour now for the scent! Don't you wish it would stay? I wonder about BCN's vanilla stabilizer????

Paul
I'm crossing my fingers it turns dark brown. I didn't add any color, it's morphing on it's own cause of the FO... I'll have to post another picture in a few days so everyone can see how and IF it changed.... I've never used a vanilla stabilizer, do they really work in CP?? OH MY that would be great...I've forever been wanting to make a light pink bar with the Pink Sugar FO, but it goes dark dark brown. :(

Soapmaker Man said:
NEASoapWorks said:

@Paul

I want one of your "revolutionary" goodies
!

Hey that cutter you wanted is ready. The rest of my molds....soon! No liners at all. The soap will just fall out of the mold onto your table. This material will be securely "glued" to the inside of the premium pine I now use! The best of both worlds; Wood for strength and insulating factors, and a "plastic" for nice slick soap surfaces and everything else these HDPE mold makers rave about, at a much lower cost! Best of both worlds.
I'm so excited! :D Sorry for the hijack! :oops:

I think your spam needs to be on page 2 of this thread.

I haven't used them personally but those that have rave about them. Not to mention they look pretty darn awesome as well !!!!!!!

Not to mention Lane's soaps looks just delish. And if that isn't a good enough reason to give this method a try, I don't know what is !!!

Lane, if you go to BCN's site and click on the product "vanilla stabilizer" it says it is for CP soap. In fact, they show demo pictures of "Pink Sugar" with and without the stabilizer. Only drawback it is pretty expensive and you need to use equal amounts of it and your FO. I have not tried it, but I think some member of our forum has.

Paul :wink:

faithy said:
Not to mention Lane's soaps looks just delish. And if that isn't a good enough reason to give this method a try, I don't know what is !!!

I wouldn't even have thought twice about it if you hadn't posted that pic of your peach RTCP! How about a bar swap in four weeks? :wink:

@Paul- I'm having a brain issue...what's the link for BCN?

Back