My recent market analysis

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I weigh and label my soaps with the weight, I reweigh to make adjustments and relabel if the weight has dropped ...I always list all ingredients as what they are--rose kaolin clay, green chrome oxide...as opposed to "color" and I use eos as fragrance so easy to list. I wouldnt think of doing anything less.

This is a FASCINATING read and a good cautionary tale:
A Surprise Visit from the FDA
Most interesting, perhaps, is what provoked the visit: not an adverse reaction, not someone reporting her, but the FDA noticing that she described a scent as "medicinal" and said that TTO had antibacterial properties (AFAIK, the first is a subjective perception and the second is true). Shows you how little it takes to get inspected, and what upheaval it causes!

ETA: Here's a more detailed version of the story. I think it's actually this one that I first read.

Last edited:
This very recent post by Marie Gale (January 6, 2019) is an easy read. In the sections pertaining to ingredient labeling, she specifically adds “cosmetics only”. https://www.mariegale.com/new-years-resolutions-check-your-labels/, but watch out if you claim your soap is cleansing!

Good article, but first I've read about including zip code; I just used City ST since my physical address is publically available.

My front label has three lines of text:

Name of my company (I have a ABN registered with the State)
Name of my soap which includes the word 'soap'
City ST oz/g

I don't use fancy fonts, though I do italicize the soap name. I haven't physically measured the text size, but I am using a oval shaped label that covers most of the front of the soap and all the text can be easily be read from six feet away. I just checked the conversion chart for my font and the minimum pt I would need for 1/8" is 9 and smallest pt I use is 11 so I'm good there.

I use an 'address label' for my Ingredients, standard font, 11 pt and they are listed in descending order of predominance, and I include Sodium Lactate and Kaolin Clay even though they are less than 1%; the label in place on the on the back at the bottom. I have one label for my regular soap and another for my GMS. I do have 'May contain scent and color" on my regular soap and 'May contain scent' on my GMS.

I will be having an Ingredients page on my website that will offer more detail about the ingredients I use, including the INCI name, for all my products.

I did have several people at the Craft Fair inquire if my soap was good for acne or eczema. I was expecting this from many articles and comments I have read and I explained that I make NO cosmetic or drug claims about my soap other than that it cleans.

This is even more interesting...thank you so much for posting it.

I, admittedly, do not have a 'manufacturing process' yet, but I am working on it. I do follow FIFO and write the date I purchased my oils on the container and I empty my Cocoa Butter and Shea Butter containers before refilling with new. I bought a rolling kitchen island where all my ingredients and equipment is stored, and where I actually make my soap, but I am starting to run out of room. My husband is going to put up a small shelf about the 'island' for my Mica, Clays, Oxides (dry stuff). Eventually I will move out to the garage so knowing about the cages for lights is very helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a FASCINATING read and a good cautionary tale:
A Surprise Visit from the FDA
Most interesting, perhaps, is what provoked the visit: not an adverse reaction, not someone reporting her, but the FDA noticing that she described a scent as "medicinal" and said that TTO had antibacterial properties (AFAIK, the first is a subjective perception and the second is true). Shows you how little it takes to get inspected, and what upheaval it causes!

ETA: Here's a more detailed version of the story. I think it's actually this one that I first read.
Thank you so much for posting this! I’m saving the extended article for reference.

And my conclusion is: There are a lot of sellers that are just flat out liars.
Smack Laugh.gif
That's the way to bottom line it, Carl. Well said!

Back