My quest for coconut:

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll have to try that one even if it is just for lotion. The ones I've tried all have this very artificial melted plastic undertone, either that or they smell more like vanilla or pineapple. If none of these work I'm going to order another round of samples from a bunch of other suppliers lol.
I do not find it at all artifical and it sells out in lotion very fast. I am going to tackle it again in soap using no overheating ingredients with chilled lye and see if it will behave. But not soaping until the weather cools for us

I do not find it at all artifical and it sells out in lotion very fast. I am going to tackle it again in soap using no overheating ingredients with chilled lye and see if it will behave. But not soaping until the weather cools for us

I just ordered a 16oz bottle... I'm so weak under peer pressure!

One thing about Soapalooza coconut carbi. It will smell like vanilla at first but wait it out two weeks. When I made my lard based milk soap with it I could smell vanilla or at least to me it smelled that way. But that disappeared by second week. I had family member smell it, that I know can really smell scents when mixed and pick out which is which. He smelled the coconut right off the bat. That was after 4 weeks.

One thing about Soapalooza coconut carbi. It will smell like vanilla at first but wait it out two weeks. When I made my lard based milk soap with it I could smell vanilla or at least to me it smelled that way. But that disappeared by second week. I had family member smell it, that I know can really smell scents when mixed and pick out which is which. He smelled the coconut right off the bat. That was after 4 weeks.

Oh that's great to know, thanks! Did you have any trouble with it overheating and separating?

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1426868511.940242.jpg

I have to come in here to say that the Caribbean coconut from soap supplies.net arrived ALREADY! I just ordered it on the 17th! I also love that instead of foam or packing peanuts, she pads her box with shredded mail and I love a company who does their part to be earth conscious. Ok.. And if that wasn't all great enough, just like Carolyn said, OOB the scent is the best so far. The other coconuts now have some stiff competition!

Testing today!

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1426876019.934792.jpg

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1426876656.715118.jpg

Both the Crafters Choice coconut milk, and the Soap supplies.net Carribbean coconut are overheating with oil puddles on the surfaces. ... Boo!

Is it weird that I see that as a promising sign?

Promising? Yes, maybe a little..

It's it because the very best scents are usually the worst behaved lol?

Overheating and oil slicks definitely won't deter me from making the soap if it smells great!

Last edited:
I wonder if being close together is encouraging the heat. I mean it's obvious when one is heating but when the next one is heating up can it be forcing gel/heat?

I wonder if being close together is encouraging the heat. I mean it's obvious when one is heating but when the next one is heating up can it be forcing gel/heat?

I don't think so in this case. I could tell that both of those were going to heat up quickly when I was mixing.

TViv, just want to say ~ great work! I've been following along closely waiting to see what your results are so I can get to shopping, lol. I've tried a few of the one's you've used here and were just okay, not any I'd jump to re-order. Your opinion was the same as mine for them too. I'm excited about this last batch and can't wait for the results! :thumbup:

How do you like the 2 Peak scents OOB. My daughter lives in Denver and is coming home for a visit this weekend. If you like them, I'll have her run over there and bring them to me.

Last edited:
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1426953586.131317.jpg

Ok folks (the ones still keeping up with this thread haha) I'm more satisfied with this bunch than the last!
The Coconut Caribe smells great! And the oil slick that was on the SoapSupplies.net Carribbean coconut has soaked in nicely and that one smells amazing too! The Peak Coconut milk is going to be a great mixer to add to a badly behaving coconut. The Crafters Choice coconut milk is a greasy, weeping mess and doesn't smell good enough at this point for me to want to deal with it. I'll post another picture in a couple of weeks and my opinion of each scent.

I'd like to send out samples of all of these in exchange for a good description of each within this thread, so I'll be PM-ing some of you that seemed interested (if that's ok) it's nice to have others opinions! :)

TViv, just want to say ~ great work! I've been following along closely waiting to see what your results are so I can get to shopping, lol. I've tried a few of the one's you've used here and were just okay, not any I'd jump to re-order. Your opinion was the same as mine for them too. I'm excited about this last batch and can't wait for the results! :thumbup:

How do you like the 2 Peak scents OOB. My daughter lives in Denver and is coming home for a visit this weekend. If you like them, I'll have her run over there and bring them to me.

Hi Krista!

I like the coconut milk. It's light and sweet and better in the soap than in the bottle. I've used this one for awhile and I think it's best when mixed with something else. The Aruba coconut smells good too but it's not a straight coconut. It's fruitier with pineapple and bananas and maybe even a light, floral note thrown in there, not sure if that's what you're wanting!

Hi Krista!

I like the coconut milk. It's light and sweet and better in the soap than in the bottle. I've used this one for awhile and I think it's best when mixed with something else. The Aruba coconut smells good too but it's not a straight coconut. It's fruitier with pineapple and bananas and maybe even a light, floral note thrown in there, not sure if that's what you're wanting!

Perfect ~ thanks! Since Peak isn't open on weekends, I had her pick up these 2 plus a few more, lol. She's saving me the shipping! I had the same thought about the Coconut Milk. I have a 1oz tester but haven't used it yet because I'm trying to decide what to blend it with. She's also bringing Coconut Lime Verbena and Lemon Colada. Based on the site reviews, Lemon Colada is much heavier on the lemon than any other note so I may blend the Coconut Milk with this one. I guess I'll decide when she arrives with my goodies!

Thanks again, TVivian!

I got a 1 oz sample of Black Coconut the last time I ordered from Aztec. I used in it a big batch of body butter so I have no idea how it performs in CP, but it does have that Haiwian Tropic smell, the oil that I would rub all over to get a "healthy" tan when I was a teenager. I think it is a Yankee Candle Dupe.

I have to say that most of these smell really good in lotion, as I'm sure they would in scrubs and M&P.. But put them in CP soap and they really get destroyed! I'm going to be so shocked if any of these come out of their cure with an amazing scent.

Thanks so much for testing all of these out for us, TVivian! I've had some disappointments with coconut scents as well. It's amazing how different the results can be for such a relatively basic fragrance. Coconut always smells so good oob for me, but never seems to stick around. Thanks again for doing all of these test cases!

Back