My purple color turned blackish brown.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lrpolillo

Reaction score
I have never had this happen and it even smelled funny. My purple turned horrible on my.
IMG_1519668838.427212.jpg
Has anyone ever had this happen. Not pretty.

Can you give us a clue what's going on? Recipe? Method? All ingredients and all in weights.

I have tried so many purples that morphed into different shades of gray, brown, taupe...Unless this was a "tried and true" recipe, I wouldn't be worried.

My main lavender colorant turns ugly gray until the ph of the soap settles then it goes a pretty lavender. You want watch color morphing try blue food coloring which I think is Blue 1. It turns several shades of grays, blues, pinks then settles to a pretty lavender to purple. I use it at times just to watch the color changes ;)

Yep- purples sure are very interesting animals in soap. My ultramarine violet colorant normally starts out gray before turning lavender later on, provided I added enough of it, that is. If I don't add enough, it tends to stay on the grayish side. For what it's worth, my 'enough' happens to be 1/2 teaspoon ppo for a pastel lavender shade (more for a deeper shade).

IrishLass :)

For fun, try Blue #1 in one part, pure white in another, and a white where you added some vanilla.

You start with gray and white and it eventually settles to purple and white and brown.

Ok 18 oz olive oil
10 oz coconut
10 palm oil
5 Shea butter
5 avacado butter
1 avacado oil
I have almost always used this recipe. It was a sample from a new supplier. I don’t know what happened.
Ps what do you think of the recipe?!?!

For fun, try Blue #1 in one part, pure white in another, and a white where you added some vanilla.

You start with gray and white and it eventually settles to purple and white and brown.

Interesting !!!!

And if your colorant is stable for CP. If it's not stable in High PH it can and most likely will morph.

Yes it was supposed to be. I even asked about morphing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did it change after saponification at all? Or did it stay muddy. As others stated sometimes colors will change back to what we thought they should be. As for your recipe I would up your palm oil and lower your olive. Also, using anything at less than 5% I would leave out. I generally don't use anything at less than 10% except Castor oil which I use at 5-7%. Otherwise your recipe looks good to me. What SF are you using?

One more recommendation is that you measure in grams as it's much more accurate.

If you avocado oil I would nix the avocado butter. Also is your butter 100% avocado or the avocado oil/hydrogenated veggie oil. Most avocado butters are the mix, but some suppliers do sell 100% avo butter. Using both is really adding cost that is not necessary. You could up your avo oil and use shortening for the same effect in soap. I would also up the palm

It was a sample from a new supplier. I don’t know what happened.
The colorant was a sample? That's most likely the cause. It is probably not pH stable, and morphed. If it didn't change back after saponification, I would chock it up to that being the reason.

A lot of the purples I use, I have to make sure and gel or they will not turn back to purple and stay a greyish color.

If you avocado oil I would nix the avocado butter. Also is your butter 100% avocado or the avocado oil/hydrogenated veggie oil. Most avocado butters are the mix, but some suppliers do sell 100% avo butter. Using both is really adding cost that is not necessary. You could up your avo oil and use shortening for the same effect in soap. I would also up the palm

Sorry for not getting back sooner. My avocado butter says 100% pure organic. Use shortening. And that will definitely keep the cost down. Great advice thanks so much

Did it change after saponification at all? Or did it stay muddy. As others stated sometimes colors will change back to what we thought they should be. As for your recipe I would up your palm oil and lower your olive. Also, using anything at less than 5% I would leave out. I generally don't use anything at less than 10% except Castor oil which I use at 5-7%. Otherwise your recipe looks good to me. What SF are you using?

One more recommendation is that you measure in grams as it's much more accurate.

Thanks for the advice. It didn’t change back. I did start to measure in grams. Thanks for the help

What is the name of the colorant (Lakes etc, where did you get it from) , how it was added ?
This may play more of a role to figure out what happened

What is the name of the colorant (Lakes etc, where did you get it from) , how it was added ?
This may play more of a role to figure out what happened

So I finally looked it up and it was an neon oxide sample from a company called powdered up. Any ideas.

I tried looking it up but did not find purple neon oxide, but did find their purple mica. While they state soap and a use for their color they do not state cp soap. So they may only be stable in m&p. Better to purchase from TKB trading, Nurture Soap or Steph's Micas More https://www.facebook.com/groups/889917644394400/ she opens up sales once a month and I really like her colors.

Thank you. I normally buy from brambleberry but have been looking for a closer vendor. I gave it a shot. I did try another color from them in a small MP batch and it didn’t turn out well either. It didn’t blend into the alcohol well.

Back