My patient needs a diagnosis

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carolyne Thrasher

Reaction score
93B64679-10F5-4D7B-B2CA-67083320DE8D.jpeg B2C61014-BE19-4BA9-83C9-62FAD4773E0F.jpeg
I made this batch last night. It’s a bit soft and this recipe shouldn’t be quite this soft. That’s not my problem though. I’ve used 2 green micas and 2 purple micas for a drop swirl and there’s a brownish orange around some of the greens. DOS? Purple plus green make brown? I thought micas weren’t supposed to migrate. My recipe was:

20% each palm, rice bran, canola, coconut
10% olive oil
5% each Shea and castor

The canola is fresh and organic. I get it from my natural foods store. It is spectrum brand. Really fast turnover on this at the store. Olive oil and coconut from Costco. Rice bran, Shea and castor from Shay co. Have had for 1 month and at least 5 previous batches with no discoloring. The palm is also from Shay but I just opened the 5 pound bucket for this batch. I did not melt the whole thing down, scooped out what I needed because that’s what the gal at Shay told me to do when I asked her about melting it all down.

I also used sodium lactate, sugar and salt in my lye water. 2 parts water to 1 part lye. Probably could have gone less water.

Oh and td from wss.

Any thoughts ladies AND gentlemen?

Sometimes colors need a day (or maybe 5 or 6) to "set" in your soap. It's still so new that the orangey-brown might fade. Or, it could be the purple & green did mix a bit...
Also, what micas did you use? Are they CP soap stable?

Sometimes colors need a day (or maybe 5 or 6) to "set" in your soap. It's still so new that the orangey-brown might fade. Or, it could be the purple & green did mix a bit...
Also, what micas did you use? Are they CP soap stable?
They are supposed to be cp stable per the company websites. Thank! Maybe it will be alright.

The second picture - is that an end piece or are all of the cut bars smeared?

It could just be the weirdness of the green mica - even reputable brands do some weird things, but usually fix themselves in a few days.

Or the micas weren't completely stable - I have a purple that works in a lard free recipe - but turns completely gray in a lard soap.

Micas can mix together in the soap as you pour, as it saponifyies and as lenarenee said sometimes they morph.
You have to ensure the mica you use is "no bleed". Some bleed. Sometimes this is a good characteristic, other times it is annoying.

It is not DOS. :)

Did you use any fragrance?

IrishLass :)
Yes it was rosemary mint fragrance oil from nurture, not essential oils.

The second picture - is that an end piece or are all of the cut bars smeared?

It could just be the weirdness of the green mica - even reputable brands do some weird things, but usually fix themselves in a few days.

Or the micas weren't completely stable - I have a purple that works in a lard free recipe - but turns completely gray in a lard soap.
End piece. I did slice off a tiny bit later just to see. It’s really too soft to cut yet. It appears to be throughout and related to one of the greens. Maybe it will work itself out. Otherwise I feel I’ve had a really great run for a new soaper. At some point a batch is bound to disappoint.

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 33670 View attachment 33671
I made this batch last night. It’s a bit soft and this recipe shouldn’t be quite this soft. That’s not my problem though. I’ve used 2 green micas and 2 purple micas for a drop swirl and there’s a brownish orange around some of the greens. DOS? Purple plus green make brown? I thought micas weren’t supposed to migrate. My recipe was:

Any thoughts ladies AND gentlemen?

I had a packet of Shamrock Green which was labeled for cold process from BB. My soap turned the ugliest brown/purple that I have ever seen. When I followed up with BB I was informed that the packet I ordered (9/17) was prior to a reformulation (reformulated Jan of 18). So, I think there are aberrations that occur with colors and soap for no known explanation. All the other colors I have used form BB have stayed "true". my lesson on this is to mix the color in a sample of soap batter to see how it reacts.

Latest posts

Back