My Palm Free Vegan Soap Adventures

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We've been discussing in the other thread about soy wax @Chris_S. Check if yours is pure 100% hydrogenated soy, or the other one that's about 98% soy and about 2% soy based additive. Steve85569 has tried both and got suds but is waiting to cure for further testing. I'm gonna try the one with the additive myself as I can't find the pure one.

This feels like im banging my head against a brick wall it doesnt seem to say anywhere on the documents iv found that it has addatives or that its 100% soy looked a few times and still non the wiser think im going to ring the supplier tomorrow and see if i can get any sense out of them. Failing that ill try contact the manufacturer see if they can help. Found out recently they are only few miles down the road from me so never know they I may even be able to order directly from them in future

This feels like im banging my head against a brick wall it doesnt seem to say anywhere on the documents iv found that it has addatives or that its 100% soy looked a few times and still non the wiser think im going to ring the supplier tomorrow and see if i can get any sense out of them. Failing that ill try contact the manufacturer see if they can help. Found out recently they are only few miles down the road from me so never know they I may even be able to order directly from them in future

Having the manufacturer just down the road is a stroke of luck Chris!
Fingers crossed for you that they'll sell direct :)
(Sometimes a manufacturer won't sell direct, except if you happen to be standing in their reception as a local, they might find a spare box/sample pack for you to buy ... ;))

Having the manufacturer just down the road is a stroke of luck Chris!
Fingers crossed for you that they'll sell direct :)
(Sometimes a manufacturer won't sell direct, except if you happen to be standing in their reception as a local, they might find a spare box/sample pack for you to buy ... ;))

Iv got a total of about 60kg of thier wax right now for my candle making i only found out recently that they are so close to where i live. So unless they have a type of wax that doesnt have addatives ect for soaping purposes not sure itll be much use for a while would be good to find out for future purposes if they would sell direct. Seems a bit pointless ordering from a company thats down south so it goes from 10 miles from my house couple hundred miles then a couple hundred miles back and again 10 miles away from the site it was made although i do have a 15% off code that still works over a year after i left my last review

You're right, they don't give much away on their documentation, but at least they are open to a phone call :)

The wax you have (I'm guessing you have the in-house 4130 soy container blend?) is listed under their natural waxes (along with carnauba and rapeseed), so that's a bit hopeful.

I hope it works out that the blend is ok for your soap Chris :)

Last edited:
You're right, they don't give much away on their documentation, but at least they are open to a phone call :)

The wax you have (I'm guessing you have the in-house 4130 soy container blend?) is listed under their natural waxes (along with carnauba and rapeseed), so that's a bit hopeful.

I hope it works out that the blend is ok for your soap Chris :)

Wow you edited that quickly lol just read the whole thing on my email felt ever so slightly stalkerish ;) Im joking of course. How did you find out which company it was? Wait do i have my location as Wigan? I always forget about these things and then wonder how people know things like my age :rolleyes:.

Iv no clue what the specific type of wax I have its just advertised as container or pillar blend on the site i buy it from and the info sheets i found if it says it on there iv missed the actual product code. Iv got both thier pillar and container blend. Just thinking it over im not sure which would be more likely to be more soap friendly. I made my first container candles with thier wax the other day and it is really really hard compared to the last container blend i was using.

Given iv seen what you wrote before you edited not sure why you edited it because there was some interesting stuff you deleted. Did you get this information from thier own site because iv not seen any manufacturers details other than emergency contact details but i also havent gone on thier own website as yet. Maybe i could see if they have any jobs there I could blag a discount make millions and millions of candles. And maybe encourage them to make a soap safe blend I need a job anyways :hippo:

Yeah, I read it back and thought the same thing (and I wasn't sure how much you wanted posted, so I chopped it back a bit).

If you are happy for me to put back all of the information, I can either post it here or send you a message :)

The one thing I did notice is that they do do sample packs ... I will send you a PM, because I grabbed the code you need for that too :D

Yeah, I read it back and thought the same thing (and I wasn't sure how much you wanted posted, so I chopped it back a bit).

If you are happy for me to put back all of the information, I can either post it here or send you a message :)

The one thing I did notice is that they do do sample packs ... I will send you a PM, because I grabbed the code you need for that too :D

Thank you for the help iv had a right score just had a quick chat and so friendly and helpful explained that i had thier pillar and container blend soy wax but i wanted to try soy wax in soaps apparently they know these waxes are safe but they just havnt been tested for such uses but they are blended with natural waxes shes sending me more info via email. and they are willing to give me a 500g bag of this new not even in shop blend thats dermatology tested and is officially safe and should be able to pick that up on Monday. Good timing eh and all that from a 5-10 minute phone call and a 20 mileish round trip to pick it up well chuffed wuth that as a result doesnt even compare to the 14 quid a kg for cocoa butter i have added so far to my palm free soaps. So looking like ill be making my first soaps in over a month next week at least i can have a clear out of the curing shelves :)

So @KiwiMoose if you recommend soy wax for soap to anyone in the uk and possibly the eu too the kerax is the company im getting this off although as i said its only available from them direct at this time if i find anywere else selling it i will mention it in the soy user thread. And when iv got them made and testing them I will update with my experience and opinion.

Last edited:
What a fantastic outcome! ... I'm going to sit back and watch for the first soaps now :)

(I'm guessing they also might want to know how you go making soap from their new product - if you have good luck with it, then they have a whole new, fairly untapped, market to sell into as well :)).

What a fantastic outcome! ... I'm going to sit back and watch for the first soaps now :)

(I'm guessing they also might want to know how you go making soap from their new product - if you have good luck with it, then they have a whole new, fairly untapped, market to sell into as well :)).

Yes and might even be able to get a decent deal out of them for being able to pick it up! Thats what im hoping anyways. Iv gotta go the hospital up that way in a few months if they go well could drop a few the soaps in for the to try out. They were really friendly and helpful when i rang which only helps when looking for somewhere to get this kind of stuff from!

They are technically my first palm free soaps @SaltedFig not tested them all as yet but they hit 4 weeks old today so will start testing rest of them soon given some out to a friend for feedback a week ago with strict instructions of not using them till at least today

Attachments

• 20190223_155647.jpg
    20190223_155647.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 18
They are technically my first palm free soaps @SaltedFig not tested them all as yet but they hit 4 weeks old today so will start testing rest of them soon given some out to a friend for feedback a week ago with strict instructions of not using them till at least today

Made with SW?

Made with SW?

No they dont have sw in them but cocoa butter to get a hard bar. I am kinda tempted to try an loaf with candle wax just to compare to the cosmetic wax i get next week. Just for my personal use mind they said its only got natural waxes and stearic acid so nothing that cant already be used in soap.

Have you got a suggested recipe or just quantity of sw to use @Dean?

No they dont have sw in them but cocoa butter to get a hard bar. I am kinda tempted to try an loaf with candle wax just to compare to the cosmetic wax i get next week. Just for my personal use mind they said its only got natural waxes and stearic acid so nothing that cant already be used in soap.

Have you got a suggested recipe or just quantity of sw to use @Dean?

10-20 CO. 20 for oily, 15 for norm/combo, 10 for dry.
40 HO. I prefer Almond
5 castor
35-45 SW depending on CO amt.

Last edited:
10-20 CO. 20 for oily, 15 for norm/combo, 10 for dry.
40 HO. I prefer Almond
5 castor
35-45 SW depending on CO amt.

Thank you dean ill give that ago i usually go with 15-20CO so ill stick with that i think
iv got sweet almond oil and use that a lot but I just cant get my head round what on earth HO is im sure itll be obvious when someone tells me but cant think of anything thats initials are HO its really annpying me too

Hi Chris, HO stands for High Oleic. Dean is saying to choose one of the HO oils, per your preference, from among olive, HO sunflower, HO safflower, almond, avocado, and apricot. :)

Note that sunflower and safflower come in regular and HO versions.

Hi Chris, HO stands for High Oleic. Dean is saying to choose one of the HO oils per your preference (olive, HO sunflower, HO safflower, almond, etc.). :)

You know what that did cross my mind but without context it just didnt make sense to me. Thank you for explaining that @Meena. Sweet almond it is then

So if i was to use this as a starting recipe

15% coconut oil
20% olive
20%sweet almond
45% soy wax

The only wax iv ever used in soap is beeswax that has quite a higher melt point than soy in my experience so if its simular to my candle wax my wax has a melt point of about 50-60c or 140f so i would need to combine all my oils and have them at 140f when i mix the lye i normally soap at 125 or less depending on what i use iv never soaped at as high as 140f. Do fos react different at that temp do things tend to go faster with trace ect this is whole new territory for me at this temp so please excuse the question if they sound simple

I don’t take temps, but I think mine are around 40 - 45 degrees maximum

Argh i hate translating into f so thats what i use for soaping so gave up working in c. I just know that the wax has that as a melt point because i looked it up other night. Wait that was pour temp so it probably is about 40c then

Back