My other hobby-lot o pics

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have reptile and tarantula envy.
If I had any of those, my parents or relatives would never come to visit... or it might actually be good idea to get some. :shifty:
I looove chooks but have no space for them ATM. I'm stuck with a cat and fish tank. I love silver dollars, they are such a great fish.

Wow! They are so cool. I love the babies, so small and gentle, I think I never saw tarantulas like that.

Lovely plants and cute lizard!

Say, my mom was asking me about her old African violet -- it's a long stemmy thing with a tuft of leaves on the outer end of the stem. It looks healthy, but ugly. Is propagating a new violet the only way to renew this plant? Or can I just plant it deeper? Or ???

Tarantulas are really interested critters to keep. Looking at my old pics makes me miss them. I spent all morning browsing spiderlings at my favorite dealers site. Wonder if hubby would be upset if I order a few:)

Deeanna, thats what we call a palm tree and it's fairly easy to fix. Here is a nice guide with good pics, http://houseplantguru.blogspot.com/2011/09/african-violet-tree.html

If the stem is really long, it may have to be cut to the point it has no more roots. This is ok as they re-root easy but it should be kept under a dome for 3-4 weeks. Give it a gentle tub after 3 weeks to see if its grown roots and is anchored in the dirt. During this kind of treatment I like to pull off a couple leaves to propagate just in case something goes wrong.

Can I ask how old this violet is and is it a named variety? There are some people who are trying to find and preserve vintage violets but it can be hard to find them if the grower isn't a member of the violet association.

Last edited:
red thyme with my bearded dragon
2ekojtx.jpg

Beautiful! And the flowers are pretty too. ;)

Latest posts

Back