My New Home

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am looking for a few opinions here. Many of you will remember we are purchasing a manufactured home for our lot in Winnemucca. Anyhoo, we have hit a few snags. Since our initial contract price which showed a material surcharge of 9400K, this was Sept of last year we received a notice from the dealer that there was a slight change in the materials surcharge and she sent us a new contract to sign. Well, the slight change was 28k which I do not consider slight. I asked for a breakdown of the charges and cannot get an answer. This just does not seem normal to be charged this amount of money and not know what I am paying for. Granted some things have gone up exponentially in price but wood has come down and I have removed flooring because we choose to do the flooring ourselves.

We were going to have the dealer do some of the work such as the lot grading and some of the flooring. Every time I removed something it seemed like my material surchage went up. Just curious if anyone has dealt with a new manufactured home recently. Thanks for listening. I just hate signing for something I cannot see.

The last time my mom bought a manufactured home was in 2019, so it was pre-pandemic and therefore no surcharges. The home was delivered within a month and installation and delivery were included. Something sounds suspicious here. Have you considered options from other dealers? When I felt uneasy about some paperwork a builder wanted us to sign, I consulted a lawyer, who advised me against signing, and told me that there is a house on every corner, that we should keep looking. I was glad he saved us from future headaches and regrets.

Carolyn, wood HAS gone up, just asked Dh and he said that it has gone up by 40% in the U.S. It has gone up a lot here too, so you might need to check that out. You might have to rethink doing the floors yourself.

I asked for a breakdown of the charges and cannot get an answer.

Send an email back and tell them that if they are unwilling to talk to your, maybe they would rather talk to your attorney.

Carolyn, wood HAS gone up, just asked Dh and he said that it has gone up by 40% in the U.S. It has gone up a lot here too, so you might need to check that out. You might have to rethink doing the floors yourself.
I have checked out wood prices and it has actually gone down here since we ordered our home. I am going to go through the contract again and see what I find about the surcharges. I am afraid they will be hitting me again. The problem is I have no other dealers or manufacturers to go to. This is the only manufacturer building triple wides and delivering to my area, so I am kind of stuck and they know it. LOL, Gecko the manufacturer is in Oregon!! Not sure my CA attorney will be a lot of help out of state.

Let me know who it is and I’ll do some research. We have several in our area.

My grandson is a builder and he was remarking on the raise in the cost of materials not too long ago.

Perhaps the additional costs are due to increased transport costs to ship the materials.

In any case they should be able to provide you with a breakdown of costs.

It is a Palm Harbor Home Gecko. I just informed my dealer I am at the top of my budget so we shall see what happens. Although the home cost seems cheap once a garage, grading, foundation, well, etc is factored it goes up 100k+. I could have purchased a stick home for less but not on the size lot I have and not in the area. They were all sold. We knew we would be upside down for a few years but when the Lithium mine opens up houses should go up in the area again.

Latest posts

Back