My new hobby

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, it's been kind of a thing for me since the third grade when I won an award at the science fair for my solar system project LOL. I love love love skywatching, and have wanted a telescope since literally the third grade.

Last year I saw something weird-green in the sky and reported it to the meteorological society. A few days later there was an article in our local news "green objects reported falling from the sky as far south as Port St Lucie Florida". I felt famous LOL. THAT WAS ME!! It was a nickle-based meteor from a meteor shower, which made it green. It looked like a green traffic light falling from the sky.

After months of overtime at work, and a few extra dollars in my pocket, I bought a telescope!! My friend at work kept telling me to buy telescope binoculars because they are easy to use and cheaper, but I really wanted the real-deal telescope.

i don't know what I am doing with it LOL. I finally found the moon. Yeah, it's easy to point and aim at the moon, but to use the controls and such to find it for the first time was super exciting. That's the easiest thing to find in the sky. Now on to stars. I got a telescope that has a phone dock on it that points you to certain stars and stuff...I'm not there yet lol. I'm just randomly finding stuff....except the moon. That was my only purposeful find so far. Now I got to experiment with different lenses. But the stupid thing keeps moving LOL.

I feel like my life is now complete LOL.

That is so cool, you will have fun. They do seem to be very sensitive to the slightest movement, but it is very rewarding when you finally get it focused where you want. I use an app in my phone to guide me on the direction of where a planet might be, to know where to point it. My hubby is the star enthusiast and I am the field sssistant. He also likes looking at the space station, that one you can see without a telescope (it moves so fast it wouldn’t be helpful actually), you just need to know when it will be visible in your area. Have fun and happy watching!

Nice- I've been looking at the moon recently through binoculars. Really cool. I've tried looking at star charts but never got good at it. But even looking at bright starts in the sky, with binoculars, other stars that are invisible to the naked eye pop out. Space sure is fascinating! I live in a big city and can still see some decent stuff even with all the light pollution. Have you seen any more cool stuff? I have the chance to work over time at work but I prefer to just be really frugal and not buy anything instead of working more and being able to buy stuff lol.

Latest posts

Back