My new garden baby

Soapmaking Forum - Soap & Candle Forums

Help Support Soapmaking Forum - Soap & Candle Forums:

Catscankim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're probably right @Catscankim about mine needing a bit of sun...it gets plenty light and air but no sun. In fact....I've just gone and moved it out into my fernery... 😄 🤞. I measured it while I had it unravelled too...nearly 5 feet so hopefully halfway to flowering !!
I'm not an expert LOL. But I have a green thumb.

My "regular" orchids are thriving in my east-facing porch and kitchen window, whereas many other plants scorch (speaking of my Boston Fern). So it gets lots of hot morning and early afternoon sun, but gets a break after 2pm when it starts to get a little shade.

I also bought a pallet of baby succulents ... it was 25 of them for $20. I don't know what to do with 25 little succulent plants, but I couldn't resist LOL. Well, now 24 because I already gave one away. Guess I will make a little succulent garden somewhere in my yard.

Ppl love coming to my house...they always leave with some sort of plant baby and maybe a bar of soap.

My new obsession is spider plants. I have a fairly small one that just keeps making babies. I now have 4 from the momma plant which (shhh) I nabbed a pinky nail sized baby from a mom plant at the nursery LOL.

And I am now the proud new momma of two coconut palms that my coworker's dad had from his mature coconut palm. They are small, but they grow fast. Not sure what I am doing with them atm. Plus the orange tree that I bought a few weeks ago, and the lime tree that I planted a few years ago Lots of limes on it!!...If my neighbor stops stealing them lol. I really REALLY want a mango tree, but oddly enough they are nowhere to be found right now. I had one growing in the yard from seed...had it all marked and everything, but alas the lawn cutters weed-wacked it down (it was really small). It tried to grow back, but they got it again.

Someone gave me banana trees when I first moved in. If you live in florida, resist the urge to get a banana tree. They piss me off. My entire water bill is from watering the suckers (suckers with an F), and they don't look nice. Contemplating cutting them down. I have yet to get a banana from them. Just messy.

Now I have a vanilla orchid...guess in a few years I will be having a party featuring home-grown fruit cocktails LOL.

Catscankim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My little vanilla orchid is absolutely thriving. In just a couple weeks it keeps climbing up the little stake in the pot...almost two inches by now.

I am afraid to put it outside LOL. I think it really likes the diffused light and humidity of the bathroom. My bathroom is really tiny, so I really do not have room for a plant that is growing so fast lol. So I guess I will have to get it accustomed to the porch.

cmzaha

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll ask her about it, if not, I can share my cutting with you. Its much longer then I was expecting or wanting.
I need to get over there and pick it up, see what I'm actually working with.
Snakies are doing well, eating and shedding regularly. Rose is a sweety, fern on the other hand its still a wildling.
Just to let you know my cutting are doing great. I planted them in 3" mesh pots with clay balls a little potting soil, spag moss and set them in Soudini's unplanted tank. With the humidy and UVB lights they are going like little champs. Thank you for the cuttings.

I have some good Easter Cactus cuttings if you would like some. They grow like crazy and I wish I could grow them in my tanks because they would add pretty color to the tank.

Obsidian

Reaction score
Glad they are doing well. I need to do something different with mine. Its ok but really needs more light. Once I can put my pepper plants outside, I'll have room on the plant stand.

Thanks for the offer on the easter cactus. I already have three colors, only looking for a white now.

Catscankim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love my vanilla so much that I bought another one. I have a plant addiction problem LOL This one has variegated leaves.

I got my mango tree the other day, and it is snapped in half. I don't mind keeping it if it is going to be ok. It probably will be ok, but I emailed him anyway just to let him know, and to see if he thinks they should replace it. And I say him, because the owner of the nursery emailed me personally to thank me for my purchase, so I think I might get the best advice from him....I hope.

I always wanted a mango, and since it is grafted, it should only be one or two years until I start getting fruit.

I know, I know...I warned everybody about a banana tree, but I got another one. But this is a tiny banana tree that I will probably grow in a pot.

I have most of the weekend off, so I have lots of planning and planting to do.

Latest posts