My Mould Experiment

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dillsandwitch

Reaction score
So I had an idea last week that instead of always having to line my moulds what would happen if I put some plain old gutter silicone on them.

Here is a link to the pics: http://imgur.com/a/3Bcza
Sorry if some of them are not the best quality. My phone is old and has a crapy camera.

Pretty much all I did was mark out where the soap would touch when the mould was closed, taped it off and smooshed on some silicone. I ended up using a small bit of plastic to smooth it out which took a little bit of practice to get it right. Over all I'm happy with the result. I only had a couple of leaks and that was more to I cant cut completely straight with the jigsaw as I would like.

Wow, you did a really neat job of spreading that silicone. Looks like the soap came out pretty cleanly, too. I'd be very happy with those results. :thumbup:

Wow, you did a really neat job of spreading that silicone. Looks like the soap came out pretty cleanly, too. I'd be very happy with those results. :thumbup:

It took me a while to get it that smooth. I think I must have run the bit of plastic chopping board I was using over each side about 20 times to get the result I did. The soap came out really easy and cleanly too. the bits around the edges on the mould in the pic is from where it leaked due to my wonky cutting skills. I really should get a drop saw. But yeah I am really happy with how it turned out and I used less that a 300g tube for the 2 moulds I coated. so overall I would say each mould cost about $3 and a couple hours of my time to make.

Latest posts

Back