My most stressful batch yet

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spenny92

Reaction score
Normally, my soapy sessions are enjoyable and almost relaxing - but this batch was a total PITA and I'm feeling the stress! I shouldn't have picked today to make it, as I've already had a very busy and stressful morning at work and have to go back to work in less than an hour.

So, I got new FOs from Big Tree Supplies and my boyfriend just loves Salty Sailor, so I decided to make a batch of salt bars for him. I did read that this FO accelerates, so I tried to prepare myself. My lye was room temp, but my oils were probably a little on the warm side. I SB'd the FO into the oils before adding my lye. I wanted to do a 3 colour layered bar with dark blue, light blue and white so I had all of my colours mixed with some batch oils and ready to go. Added the lye to my oils and whipped out my SB - in hindsight, I should not have used the SB. I probably SB'd for a total of 2-3 seconds and boom, I was so, so close to soap on a stick. I thought I'd worked with accelerating FOs before, but nothing like this.

Quickly chucked my salt in, mixed as much as I could, literally had to scrape chunks of soap into my mould. Somehow managed to disperse my colours somewhat evenly, scraped those in. It's been around 20 mins in the mould and I had to cut it, it got solid so fast and I hate when salt bars crumble when cutting.I normally cut within 2-3 hours, but never at the 20 min mark! They were already started to crumble slightly at the bottom when cut!

Gaaaaaah. I guess next time I should let my oils reach room temp, right? And ditch the SB... On the plus side, it smells great and doesn't look quite as disastrous as I'm making it sound. I'll post photos later, I have to go back to work. :mad::mad::mad:

Oh man! I tried to make salt bars with salty mariner from BB and had the exact same story as you .. I'm having bad flashbacks haha..

I love salty mariner and want to use it in salt bars so bad but I'm afraid to even try. Suppose I could always do HP.

So weird. I have ONLY made salt bars with both BB salty mariner and Daystar salty sailor. I don't know if it would help but I mix the fo in my salt so once I get the soap to immersion I just pour the fragrant salt in, stir and pour in my mold. I have never had big issues.

I also put dry celery leaves in the salt for a bit of color.

I've never tried mixing my fragrance into the salt that sounds like a great idea! I haven't made enough salt bars to have a system Obsidian so definitely don't let my experience sway you. I've never before or since had a batch just BAM.. Go solid and I had to stuff the mix into the mold. Got so many air pockets, it was crazy! 1. I probably used too much FO. 2. I probably stick blended too much 3. I added the FO at light trace instead of to the oils (or salt)

Yeah, when you plan 3 colored layers with a FO known to accelerate, you're pretty much asking for trouble. And yet, we continue to hope that maybe, just maybe this time will be different. Maybe we can coax that soap batter into behaving. But no. Soap has a mind of it's own. And it will do what it will do. And we will cry.

smiley-gets-a-big-hug.gif

I think I'll definitely try mixing the FO in with the salt next time - that sounds like it could really help! Here's a quick photo of how they turned out. They're definitely growing on me, and they smell so good that I'm not too disappointed!

11994347_10156244699425227_947716118_n.jpg

Back