my liquid castile turned all white and creamy

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
how much do i add? how can i tell when its good? when the floaties go away?

I bet it IS pretty mild. Might work as a nice facial cleanser as is... Hmm

But, if you want to keep adding base I would do so until the floaties go away, yes. :) that should give you more lather.

yes, pretty mild

i do NOT like castile as a facial cleanser....OO as a superfat clogs my pores!

i will add a tiny bit of KOH

its no big deal
i learn more from my mistakes than successes.
and plenty of people neutralize....i just over did it. probably should have stopped at 1 tbsp, not 3.

You did not need one gram of citric acid for a 3% superfat is what Craig(and I) is trying to tell you. That is NOT a soap that needed neutralization. Citric acid added during paste phase is to act as a chelator, and extra KOH is added to adjust for it up front. This was NOT lye heavy soap if you followed the 3% recipe, and your KOH was good. PLUS you did a zap test!

I am going to repeat my suggestion to toss that batch.

Last edited:
People neutralize to remove a lye-excess. Using a soap calc and quality lye, you can make sure that you don't have that and so don't need to do the extra step.

There are different ways of going about things, some currently in favor and others maybe not as much, but still doable. I don't do ls much, but I would probably still use a lye excess and neutralize next time I do. No harm done here, and some learning. Extra fun, woo hoo!

i used the 90% KOH calculation tho my lye is 92% pure. so i dont know what amount of actual superfat i have. it would be lower than the 3% put into the calculator.

If you use SBM calculator, it accounts for 94% purity. Then simply split the difference. Also, base your amount of water on the KOH. I use the 1:3 ratio with excellent results.

SBM calculator has been down for awhile
but i see its finally back up today
they didnt pay their hosting bill
LOL

i still have not added any KOH to the soap, and now practically all the floaties have gone away.

i still think i need to add a bit of KOH to make it lather more.

This thread has been very informative, especially so, since I have aquired some KOH and will be trying to make liquid soap soon, like in a week. Thank you!

a friend of mine put her liquid castile soap in the fridge and it turned white too
i guess that is because OO turns white in the fridge.

so dont freak out if your LS turns white in the fridge, just take it out and see if it clears up when it warms up!

SBM calculator has been down for awhile
but i see its finally back up today
they didnt pay their hosting bill
LOL

i still have not added any KOH to the soap, and now practically all the floaties have gone away.

i still think i need to add a bit of KOH to make it lather more.

If you think that handmade liquid soap will lather like bar soap, or commercial soap, you are doomed to disappointment. However, it is your soap, and your decision, I am done.

That's pretty sparse lather even for Castile. My cheap china ph paper puts my liquid Castile at a ph of 8. I would say it still needs a bit more base.

like others said, its not lathering as much as LIQUID CASTILE SOAP SHOULD and probably needs more base because of the CA.

i never said it should lather like bar soap or snydet.

Latest posts

Back