My latest Goats Milk Salt Bar batch...test batch

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soapmaker Man

Reaction score
Well, I had a challenge put to me from a few friends elsewhere to see if I could make a vanilla goat milk soap without it turning orangish-brown. What do you think? This is a reverse swirl and no colour added to the base.

Warm Vanilla Sugar I used 1 ounce WVS FO PPO. This batch has 10 ounces of fresh GM in it as well as sea salt and my favorite salt bar recipe using lots of shea butter!
In my 12 bar TOG Divider Mold
DSCF3280.jpg

After 2 easily remove from the dividers
DSCF3282.jpg

After removing from mold
DSCF3283.jpg

Paul

Paul, those are lovely!!!

How the heck did you keep the FO from coloring the batch??? :?: :!:

Soapmaker Man said:
Well, I had a challenge put to me from a few friends elsewhere to see if I could make a vanilla goat milk soap without it turning orangish-brown. What do you think? This is a reverse swirl and no colour added to the base.

Warm Vanilla Sugar I used 1 ounce WVS FO PPO. This batch has 10 ounces of fresh GM in it as well as sea salt and my favorite salt bar recipe using lots of shea butter!l
Looks pretty good! What brand was your WVS? I'd like to try scenting my own goat but didn't want to take on the challenge of my first goat and finding a FO that wouldn't color it.

How much liquid was in the recipe besides the 10 oz GM?

I really liked my goat. I'm surprised. I didn't know goat was this good. :)

Thanks everyone! So far, 3 days into cure, no colour change at all. We were wondering if it might be the salt aiding in reducing the colour change. This salt batch did gel and got hot, with the salt and goat milk.

Greg; I used Paige Sasser's WVS from www.soapsupplies.net I like every scent I have ever got from her. I have been using her scents for over 2 years now. I used my 50% lye solution, which included about 5 ounces of aloe vera juice. I always add powdered GM to the liquid GM to make up the difference, and still say I have a 100% GM soap. It is essentially like adding powdered aloe vera to the liquid GM, which I am planning on doing as I have 2 ounces of 200X dried aloe vera on order from WSP. http://wholesalesuppliesplus.com/Produc ... uctID=6154
I don't want to pay for distilled water that is 97+% of the total weight in the gallon I buy at Sams!

Paul :wink:

Paul, I hate to pick you clean but I'm having problems getting the right scent and the right ppo, so I'm going to order the same WVS (sounds good!) and if you'll just tell me how many oz ppo I'll leave you and your goat alone. :) :) :)

I hope my GM soap scent changes a bit over time. My ocean rain just doesn't appeal to me. I got it scent unsmelled (var. of sight unseen) from WSP. Mine might be better in lower amounts, I used 1 oz ppo. It caused acceleration too.

Lovehound said:
Paul, I hate to pick you clean but I'm having problems getting the right scent and the right ppo, so I'm going to order the same WVS (sounds good!) and if you'll just tell me how many oz ppo I'll leave you and your goat alone. :) :) :)

I hope my GM soap scent changes a bit over time. My ocean rain just doesn't appeal to me. I got it scent unsmelled (var. of sight unseen) from WSP. Mine might be better in lower amounts, I used 1 oz ppo. It caused acceleration too.

Greg, I always use between .85 to a full 1 ounce of FO per pound of oils in my recipe. F?or example, this batch had 42 ounces of oils, so I used 2.6 ounces of FO for this batch. Using GM will alter the scent of FO's compared to no GM. It is not a big deal, and have learned which suppliers and which scents work better in my GM soaps. Salt kills the scent, IMHO, a bit also. I only use 80% of my oils weight as salt. My bars are a tad bubblier this way, especially with my salt bar recipe I have tweaked at least 7 or 8 times getting it right. :roll:
Gem Lite FO have had mixed reviews. I prefer not to use them. :) But, some do. :?

My Latest Goats Milk Salt Bar Batch Test Batch

Greg: this is for you (sorry for the hijack, Paul...the salt bars look amazing!)
If you are going to order from soapsupplies.com please take a look at my reviews on the fragrance section of this forum or on the Scent Review. I have tried a couple of them already and you might want to check out my reviews. Does not pay to order just one or two.
have fun,
rita

She does have flat rate shipping minimum. You need to order a few pounds to make it worth it. I usually order 4 to 6 pounds of FO's from her at a time. :) I need to check out what you wrote, Rita. :?

Paul :wink:

Thanks Paul and Rita. :)

Paul, thanks for the advice. Funny, I had worried over my FO as I set out the measured supplies for today's batch, then read your earlier post, decided to cut back my 1 oz ppo, then when I had the 0.8 measured out read your later post, then went back and reweighed it back to 1.0 oz ppo. Well I'm committed now. This is my Dreamsicle bar. :)

Rita, thanks, I have plenty of time since I'm ordering Monday at EARLIEST. Will see your reviews and comments before ordering.

They look marvelous, Paul!! Yes, I would be more than happy to test one for you. Just send it to me. :lol: :lol:

Digit

Back