My Label question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dana89

Reaction score
HI all, My Aunt is going to start putting my soap in her shop, so for the past 6 months I have been narrowing down my scents. I am only picking about 6 that everyone really loves. Plus got a license. She already sells some homemade body products and said her insurance company will cover my soap. I am not wanting to do anything large scale right now and I would be happy if it just paid for my soaping addiction.
OK down to the question. I do not have money right now to spend on a logo design, I am just using Avery design & print and came up with a label I really like.
I decided to name my company after what we call my grandmother. MONEE
For the O I put in a raindrop from the Avery gallery, feeling proud of myself I asked my husband what he thought and the first thing he said was "that raindrop looks like a Vagina". Do you guys think other people will think that? Is DH's mind just in the gutter?

Ignore the small graph lines and the squiggly orange line, those won't be there when I print them out.

CAM00316.jpg

My mind may well work in a random way at times, but you do need to think about how a name will seem to those without this connection. What will they think of 'monee' soaps?

If you're soap is not cheap, I might take it as an ironic name!

@EG-Is that a common Grandmother name? Or are you thinking Moaning? Sorry I guess I am not following. Please explain.

It is pronounced Monny like Mommy. I can see that a lot of people may not realize that though. OOHHHH, I am slow, you see it a MONEY. SORRY I am not at my sharpest. You're right, there are several ways someone could read that. Dang! The name is the hardest part!
Thank you for bringing that to my attention.

Can I ask why the raindrop ? I would change it to a normal ' O' and I perceive Monee as Money. That's just me though, I don't know how others would view it. I would also put Artisan Handmade Soap, then, by, in the next line and then your name, as I feel the that Monee is just sitting their all by itself and people won't know that's your soap company name.

good for you Dana,always nice for a hobby to pay for itself.With that aside I fin your label a bit busy mainly with too many fonts....and perhaps your grandmother's nickname superimposed over a larger butterfly....ask around and see if you can barter for a graphic artists time...thats what I did...

Congratulations on getting to sell your soaps in a shop! Best of luck!

I'm not seeing anything naughty in the logo, but it looks like a blue flame to me - maybe because I have a candle sitting on my desk that has the same design element on it.
A general design rule of thumb... stick with two fonts (one fancy, one plain). I might reconsider the old english one used on your name, I just think it's hard to read.

As far as "Monee" as a name, do folks in your market commonly refer to their Grandmas by that nickname? If so, they'd get it and you'd be fine. Where I grew up, "Meemaw", "Nanna", and "Abuela" were really common so everyone would understand what you meant. "Grannie + first name" normally just meant a family friend Grandma - not particularly your Grandma. A community Grandma, lol. I'd reinforce the name with a grandma-ish design element then instead of the butterflies.

The raindrop with the gold center looks like a natural gas flame to me. I'm sure some gas companies have used something like that for their logo for me to make that association. Here are other raindrop images that might look more like a raindrop: https://www.google.com/search?q=nat...&bih=719&dpr=1.25#tbm=isch&q=raindrop+clipart

I would make the images (the butterflies) relate either to the name of your company or to the scent of the soap.

What Snappy said. If "Monee" as a company name is too obscure, but you still want to use it, then what about something like "Grandma Monee" to make the name more clear to your potential customers.

Spell out "Net". There is no reason to abbreviate a word that is only three letters long to two letters and a period. :)

Last edited:
Congrats on the opportunity!

I read the name as Money too.... and I'll be oddman out and say I agree with your husband! Matter of fact, another company I deal with for other things changed their logo to something similar with red yellow orange colors and I begged them to reconsider because a flame is NOT what it reminded me of. Blech.

I also agree, too many fonts. Pick two. Maybe do the soap name in the same font as the "artisan" line at the top. Only thing I see with the butterflies is you're stuck doing it in those colors forever-a graphical butterfly would let you have more options... and did you also notice the wood grain background does not fill all the way to the tops and bottoms?

Labels are fun aren't they... :)

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I threw this label together in one day and it shows. The reason for the water drop is because I wanted to represent moisture in some way.
Monee is because of my grandmother and the butterflies have always been a personal thing with me, representing death and rebirth.
I see there is is just personal stuff that makes complete sense to me but not to anyone else.
I am going back to the drawing board. I don't want anyone to look at my label and think Money. That didn't even cross my mind, but hey that is what you guys are here for! Thanks all so much!

I haven't figured out a new name yet, Well I did but I googled it first and it was taken. So I will have to think on that. I changed a lot of things and took all the advice, only 2 fonts, less busy, spelled out net,. Ignoring the name, does this look better, and should the faucet stay or go? This is still a work in progress, the graph lines and lines under some of the words won,t be there when it is printed.

CAM00319.jpg

I don't like the faucet at all. I think it would look better all the same font too. Just my opinion!

Big improvement.

Faucet takes away from the progress you made toward simplification -- I suggest you remove from your design.

Good luck!

With labels, you are calling out to people. So you need to think about who you are calling and what speaks well to them? Why should people buy your soap? Why do you make soap?

Your label has to reflect that, to convey the feeling of attachment (or at the very least interest) so that your targets will stop to look and then go on to buy

Dana, might I suggest flipping the swirly bits at the bottom over? To me, it looks like it's upside down. Apart from that, and removing the faucet, I have one minor suggestion, speaking as a print shop employee. Unless your printer is set up really, really well, you should leave a bit of white space above "Artisan Handmade Soap" (oh, don't forget to capitalize the word Soap). It's very close to the edge of the label and may be cut off when you print. We never put any text within 1/8" from the edge of anything.

There is no need to stick with one font. For something of this size, I wouldn't use any more than two, though. One font can be your accent font, for those parts you want to draw attention to, while the other should be easily readable.

Get rid of the tap and the water droplet, that will make it more simplified. Then just drop the Artisan Handmade Soap down a little lower so it's not stuck on the outside edge too much.

2nd one is much better. The water droplet no longer looks like a flame....our local natural gas company has the same in their logo. The name is much clearer. I agree with flipping the swirly bit at the bottom, it will reflect the shape of the label better. Also to moving the top text away from the edge a bit.

I would also lose the faucet. I know you said you wanted the water droplet to represent moisture in your soap but it doesn't come across as that to me. To me, homemade soap is automatically more moisturizing that 'regular' soap, that's one reason I'd buy it. What about using a soap bubble as the O in Monee? Sort of like this but flipped upside down so the smaller bubbles are on the top. http://all-free-download.com/free-vector/download/bubbles_clip_art_11028.html

With labels, you are calling out to people. So you need to think about who you are calling and what speaks well to them? Why should people buy your soap? Why do you make soap?

Your label has to reflect that, to convey the feeling of attachment (or at the very least interest) so that your targets will stop to look and then go on to buy
Mostly women are her customers, between 30 and 65. What I really want on my label is a beautiful clawfooted tub. It reminds me of both luxury and a time when things were simpler but made so well. To me the beautiful tub, makes me think of a luxurious bath with nice soap. The name of the soap could go on the side of it, the net weight under it, between the Clawfeet and the "floor", and the company name over the tub. I have seen a lot of great ones on google image, I just cannot get the image positioned right once i'm in Avery. I heard of a site called fivver and 99designs where I can get several artist to draw what I want and then pick one for under 75 dollars, I may do that. Thanks all again for the feedback.

I like the second one much better. :thumbup: It's more attractive and more professional looking. Simpler is almost always better. I also agree with ditching the faucet. It doesn't look like it belongs. You know that saying that when you get dressed to go out, you should look at yourself in the mirror, and remove the one thing that jumps out at you? The faucet would be that one thing. Monee now makes sense as a person's name. As far as having an professional design your label, I think that's definitely and option, but I would wait a bit first. You may find that after selling for a while, you change your mind about your branding, once you get a better idea of the direction things are moving. New ideas may "bubble up" to the surface. :D It's such an exciting time, best of luck to you!

Latest posts

Back