My label ideas

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SweetBubbleTreat

Reaction score
What do y'all think?? I designed them on the Internet through Avery. ImageUploadedBySoap Making1458186177.885666.jpg
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1458186198.769641.jpg. Just a couple ideas I'm tossing around right now.

Great looking. The only thing I would do is take out the word soap in the name. When I first came up with my label I had it listed the same like "Frangipani Soap" etc. After a while I decided I didn't like the look so I took out the soap part.

Are you able to line up and print the round labels perfectly? If not the colors can be hard to print round and if a white edge is left they do not look good. Also dark colors like the grease monkey can be very pesky and use a lot of ink.
I would not call it argan soap unless it is full argan. There is an issue with mis-branding but as usual I am to tired to look it up. I changed mine saying with aloe, oatmeal etc on the label as a short description and do not put soap after it. I am sure someone here will know about it.

I swear I do not know for sure,, but if I recall throughout my readings, the FDA does not allow you to call it argan soap, shea butter soap, cocoa butter soap etc, UNLESS it's (argan oil, shea butter etc) the only ingredient in your soap. Someone else has to come up with the rules on this to confirm, but I am pretty sure this is what I've read in the past. I can't be positive though so take it with a grain of salt. May be what Carilyn was trying to state...

I'd love to hear the story behind the name Flying Monkey!

I find the label cluttered, it's hard to read the name of your company. However I'm sorry I don't have any suggestions as to why - other than maybe the name should be in bolder font.

I'm another that feels the label appears cluttered...I just had to simplify one of mine after being told how many seconds a person focuses on reading a label before they move on....and I feel rocking should be rocking'...

It has to do with misleading the consumer. You can not call your soap "argan soap". However, you may be able to call it grease monkey soap since there are no grease monkeys in the actual soap. You can always say "handmade soap" then in another font or another line "with argan". It's the same with any other component or additives of the soap. For example, you can't call it "Oatmeal Milk and Honey Soap". You'd have to have soap on a separate part of the label and then put the name of the soap (Oatmeal milk and honey) in a separate part.

I believe this is a regulation both for the FTC (regulate soaps) and FDA (regulate cosmetics).

I also think you need to label names like "Lavender honey" with the more abundant thing first. So if you put more lavender than honey in the recipe then the order I have listed is good. But if you put more honey than lavender, the order should be reversed. Don't quote me on that one though.

I don't think you'd ever get any governing body to come after you for it in this case. I think it's a rule mostly for your own protection against someone suing you for misleading consumers. Like in the case of the blueberry pomegranate juice a few years back where it was less than 2% blueberry or something like that. Then you would have a problem.

Last edited:
How about this....handmade soap with my rockin' Argan oil.....

I was trying to use a play on words....Moroccan Argan oil-my rocking Argan.... Lol

I was just trying to think of catchy names to help me distinguish between my soaps since some are same colors but different scents.
I'd love to hear the story behind the name Flying Monkey!

I came up with Flying monkey because I have a small plaque that's in my room that says "I have flying monkeys and I'm not afraid to use them." Also I was thinking about my book I have called "Thanking the Monkey rethinking the way we treat animals" So I thought that I would use ingredients that were animal friendly so to speak....the only scents I use either come from the oils themselves or essential oils, colors were going to be achieved from clays, Spirulina, charcoal, cocoa powder, etc.

So back to the name and how I came up with it.....

My friends would call me the crazy soap girl, flying monkeys seem like crazy monkeys to me and since I already had the plaque I thought of flying monkey soap company and also crazy soap lady was taken.

I have thought of a jungle theme with monkeys for my shop(if I ever open one) and all of my furniture will be made from repurposed pallets to help save the environment just a little. And I've thought about my packaging being either compostable paper or seed paper that people can grow flowers or veggies in their garden.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I wouldn't even consider buying soap without a full ingredient listing. Think reactions, allergies, personal likes and dislikes, vegans, pregnancy concerns, etc.

Are your soaps round? What if you packaged in coffee filters, placed similar labels on top and a larger circular label on the bottom listing all ingredients?

Back