My kelp soap stinks

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've used nori sheets in soap with no icky smell. I soak a sheet in the recipe water until soft then blend in a bullet.
Mix the lye directly with it, might turn a odd color but it doesn't last.
Its not scratchy this way and does create a slightly mottled green look.

Kelp, like most other things, will most likely have no benefits in soap, since 99,9999% of it will be immediately washed down the drains and end up in the sea again. If added to lotions, then y0u might get benefits. I don't believe too much in benefits from this and that added to soaps.

No, I have not tried silk. But I really want to try it..... HELP! Oh no, I will not try it :eek: I found this from swedish Wikipedia, and if it has some truth to it, oh lord, no, no:

My translation from swedish to english:

" Wild silk is a textile material that resembles traditional silk, but is from spinners other than the ordinary silk worm.
Tussah silk is a common name for wild silk.

Silk thread for wild silk weave can be:

Mussel silk
Spider silk "

When I saw the last word, I freaked out! :eek:

So no tussah silk for me, never. I am seriously afraid of spiders, even though we have zero dangerous one here. That doesn't help, since we have plenty of the harmless ones. But I want to try silk in soap, since you and so many have so good things to say about it. I must just find a silk that is certified in some way or another. Guaranteed not to be tussah silk and guaranteed only from silk worm and nothing else. Or a silk alternative, what that can be. I have heard about vegan silk, and I have no idea of what it is other that some put corn starch in their soaps and call it vegan silk. I tried that, and it was not a good idea. The worst I have tried ever. My lye solution turned into thick jelly :oops:

I googled tussah silk, just because I had to find out for sure what it was. I thought it was just raw silk or something. Unprocessed and cheaper. Like unprocessed sheep fleece is cheaper than wool roving or yarn. I'm glad I did google, because if I found out after the the tussah silk had ended in the soap, I would take on gloves and carry all my soaps to the garbage bin outside.

I really hope I don't make you carry your soaps in the garbage, if you are just as afraid of spiders as I am. Remember it does not have to be true what Wikipedia writes, since everybody can write whatever there, and your silk is most likely not from spiders.

I found silk in form of whole cocoons. That way I know it is guaranteed not made by spiders. I will buy that and try it in soap. Thank you for you tip, and I hope I did not destroy your day by mentioning spiders :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you make kelp ferment out of it? Not sure how that's done (quick search indicates it requires some fermenting bacteria), but it's really great in lotions and doesn't really smell.

ETA: oops, didn't see the second page... this was a reply to @ColleenB .

Rune, I just about died from a laughing fit! I live in Florida so I have had to get more used to critters. I’m sure I wouldn’t be very happy to see a spider crawling around in my silk, although yesterday on the forum someone was saying she found a very much alive spider in her new SCI! Anyway, you will love silk in your soaps, I am thinking I died and am in soap heaven with this ingredient.

Obsidian, What benefit do Nori sheets provide?

Nothing besides subtle speckles. I just though it might go well with a salt bar I make with hemp oil, kinda going for a green feel to it. Turned out nice but honestly it was just the same as a regular salt bar. Might be good for label appeal if selling.

I found silk in form of whole cocoons. That way I know it is guaranteed not made by spiders. I will buy that and try it in soap. Thank you for you tip, and I hope I did not destroy your day by mentioning spiders :)

tussah silk should be from silk worms, its the same thing they make silk clothing from. Maybe its different in your part of the world though.
I also use silk worm cocoons. I use to raise silk worms so I have left over cocoons, same as tussah just not processed.

I now bought 45-60 silk cocoons (30 grams) from the UK. It didn't say it they were degummed or not. Perhaps they don't have to be degummed to use in soap, since I guess you @Obsidian used them unprocessed?

But how many to use per batch of soap (I use 1000 g/2.2 lbs of oils)?

I clean mine but don't bother degumming them. I cut in half, rinse with hot water to remove any stains then soak them for a good long while to help soften them.

They are thin and flexible but the fibers are tightly packed, soaking them well helps them dissolve when adding to lye.

If you want them degummed, boil until they start to unravel. If I wasn't so lazy, I would process all mine so they are ready to go in a pinch.

I use 1 cocoon for 2 lbs of soap but 1/2 might be enough since they are so densely packed.

Can you make kelp ferment out of it? Not sure how that's done (quick search indicates it requires some fermenting bacteria), but it's really great in lotions and doesn't really smell.

ETA: oops, didn't see the second page... this was a reply to @ColleenB .
I may have to try that! I'll try whatever doesn't smell cause WOW.. that was bad! :shakinghead:

No, I have not tried silk. But I really want to try it..... HELP! Oh no, I will not try it :eek: I found this from swedish Wikipedia, and if it has some truth to it, oh lord, no, no:

" Wild silk is a textile material that resembles traditional silk, but is from spinners other than the ordinary silk worm.

Mussel silk
Spider silk "

So no tussah silk for me, never. I am seriously afraid of spiders, even though we have zero dangerous one here. That doesn't help, since we have plenty of the harmless ones. But I want to try silk in soap, since you and so many have so good things to say about it. I must just find a silk that is certified in some way or another. Guaranteed not to be tussah silk and guaranteed only from silk worm and nothing else. Or a silk alternative, what that can be. I have heard about vegan silk, and I have no idea of what it is other that some put corn starch in their soaps and call it vegan silk. I tried that, and it was not a good idea. The worst I have tried ever. My lye solution turned into thick jelly :oops:

I googled tussah silk, just because I had to find out for sure what it was. I thought it was just raw silk or something. Unprocessed and cheaper. Like unprocessed sheep fleece is cheaper than wool roving or yarn. I'm glad I did google, because if I found out after the the tussah silk had ended in the soap, I would take on gloves and carry all my soaps to the garbage bin outside.

I really hope I don't make you carry your soaps in the garbage, if you are just as afraid of spiders as I am. Remember it does not have to be true what Wikipedia writes, since everybody can write whatever there, and your silk is most likely not from spiders.

Wikipedia is an open-source “reference” (I use the term loose.y). I use tussah silk in my soaps and love it. I never rely on Wikipedia, especially after having read som things I, personally, knew to be false.

Mussel silk
Spider silk "

I laughed too, about the spiders. I live in Arizona and we have tarantulas...ho. I happen to love spiders, but my cousin is like you, afraid of them.

I do love snakes. I wish we had some. I think I would prefer the non-poisonous ones, but. Snakes are cool! I like mice too, and rats. The only things I really can't stand, is spiders and dogs. I'm not afraid of dogs or anything, but I think they are disgusting. But I do love cats and all other pets.

I don't dare to go to Australia, after I read about the flying spiders they have there. Suddenly a whole town had tons of spiders raining on them from above :eek: It can happen in Brazil too, so I'm not going there either, no. If I were an Australian, I would flee the country, head over heals and far away.

Once we had maggots raining from the sky in this country (outside Bergen somewhere). But that's fine. I'm not afraid of maggots. We also had lots of sand from Sahara raining down where I live. That was cool! The white snow got a sandy tint.

I'm not more afraid of tarantulas than other spiders. I have seen one, and it was not too bad. So I could go to Arizona one day, if it wasn't for the extreme heat. I know a lady who have been there, and she said it was the most horrible place ever. Because it was so hot she could not stand it and was sweating to death, almost. I have been in 122 degrees fahrenheit (50 celsius) in Turkey many years ago. Young and dumb and went on holiday in the middle of summer. That was so bad I can't even describe it. I do sweat to death in the summers here, that can be 88 degrees fahrenheit (32 celsius). Luckily, it does not last too long.

I know you have tons of scorpions in Arizona. I saw one in Turkey and freaked out. But a turkish man said it was not so dangerous, because it was black and not orange. I had no idea black scorpions existed, since I had only seen orange ones on the TV. The scorpion was cute, in some way. But not so fun when I thought it was the most lethal ever and ran just in front of my feet.

The most dangerous here is tics. We are not supposed to have them this far north in the country. But we have some, since people find them on their dogs. Otherwise nothing dangerous. The moose can be slightly dangerous if you come between a mother and a child. Resently a lady got kicked in the face by an attacking moose. But that rarely happen. Otherwise nothing dangerous of animals. Which don't help much since we have tons of spiders of all kinds:mad: I wish people could start to love asphalt and concrete as much as I do, and chop down their vegetation. Some spider free asphalt jungles would not have been too bad.

I do love snakes. I wish we had some. I think I would prefer the non-poisonous ones, but. Snakes are cool! I like mice too, and rats. The only things I really can't stand, is spiders and dogs. I'm not afraid of dogs or anything, but I think they are disgusting. But I do love cats and all other pets.

I don't dare to go to Australia, after I read about the flying spiders they have there. Suddenly a whole town had tons of spiders raining on them from above :eek: It can happen in Brazil too, so I'm not going there either, no. If I were an Australian, I would flee the country, head over heals and far away.

Once we had maggots raining from the sky in this country (outside Bergen somewhere). But that's fine. I'm not afraid of maggots. We also had lots of sand from Sahara raining down where I live. That was cool! The white snow got a sandy tint.

I'm not more afraid of tarantulas than other spiders. I have seen one, and it was not too bad. So I could go to Arizona one day, if it wasn't for the extreme heat. I know a lady who have been there, and she said it was the most horrible place ever. Because it was so hot she could not stand it and was sweating to death, almost. I have been in 122 degrees fahrenheit (50 celsius) in Turkey many years ago. Young and dumb and went on holiday in the middle of summer. That was so bad I can't even describe it. I do sweat to death in the summers here, that can be 88 degrees fahrenheit (32 celsius). Luckily, it does not last too long.

I know you have tons of scorpions in Arizona. I saw one in Turkey and freaked out. But a turkish man said it was not so dangerous, because it was black and not orange. I had no idea black scorpions existed, since I had only seen orange ones on the TV. The scorpion was cute, in some way. But not so fun when I thought it was the most lethal ever and ran just in front of my feet.

The most dangerous here is tics. We are not supposed to have them this far north in the country. But we have some, since people find them on their dogs. Otherwise nothing dangerous. The moose can be slightly dangerous if you come between a mother and a child. Resently a lady got kicked in the face by an attacking moose. But that rarely happen. Otherwise nothing dangerous of animals. Which don't help much since we have tons of spiders of all kinds:mad: I wish people could start to love asphalt and concrete as much as I do, and chop down their vegetation. Some spider free asphalt jungles would not have been too bad.

Wanna move to NYC? We have rats, flying rats, roaches, centipedes, rabbid squirrels in select parks, people who like the decriminalization of public urination, potheads, and not as many spiders. :)

Rune, When I first moved to Florida there were flying roaches. They are called Palmetto bugs. The first one I saw about 30 years ago, it came flying at me - I did a 2 minute mile! My husband said he never saw anyone run so fast! Most of the critters here don’t bother me as long as they stay in their place, lol!

Back