My hot cross buns

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biarine

Reaction score
Easter is coming and I just made a hot cross buns today.
IMG_6088.jpg
IMG_6091.jpg

Those look fantastic biarine! My DH would love those.:) My DIL gave me a European baking cookbook for my birthday and I've had SO much fun baking things that are foreign to me. After the first batch of horrible brioche and puff pastry that wouldn't laminate properly, I learned NEVER to use American butter in baking. Once I started using Kerrygold or Findlandia my baked goods are 100% improved.

Yum! I love Kerrygold butter

Me too the best I think.

we do not have Kerrygold butter in Canada :(

You can use any good quality grass-free butter if you can have it or you can make your own.

Those look fantastic biarine! My DH would love those.:) My DIL gave me a European baking cookbook for my birthday and I've had SO much fun baking things that are foreign to me. After the first batch of horrible brioche and puff pastry that wouldn't laminate properly, I learned NEVER to use American butter in baking. Once I started using Kerrygold or Findlandia my baked goods are 100% improved.

Wow that’s great. I always use Kerry gold but I used other butter too before. Sometimes I make my own. In my country when I grow up we don’t have conventional oven so we don’t really bake bread. But I learned when I am working in Israel because my employer is a baker they’ve bakery. She taught me a basic but after that I taught myself a lot. [emoji4]

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you mind sharing how you make your own?

Here’s my recipe

Modern hot cross buns

Ingredients

Dry:
3 cups strong white bread flour
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup dried skimmed milk
1/3 cup white sugar
7 grams fast acting yeast
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon ground mace
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 tablespoon soya lecithin (optional)

Wet:
3/4 cup coconut cream ( room temperature)
1/4 to 1/2 lukewarm water
2 large beaten eggs
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon almond butter
1 teaspoon orange extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 tablespoon raw apple cider vinegar (optional)

Fruit:
1 cup mix of dried papaya and pineapple
1 cup dried sultanas
1/2 cup mix citrus peel

For cross:
4 tablespoons flour
4 to 5 tablespoons cold water ( mix until become thick batter )

Glacé:
Clear orange marmalade

Procedures

1. mix all dry ingredients set aside.
2. Combine all wet ingredients.
3. Put the dry and wet ingredients in mixer with the dough hook. Mix for 10 minutes.
4. Add the fruit, mix slowly until combined. Knead for 2 minutes.
5. Put back in the greased bowl cover in the warm place for 1 1/2 hours.
6. Knead again for 2 minutes then put back in the bowl and cover for another hour.
7. Shape into buns. Cover again for 30 to 45 minutes or until it double in size.
8. Brush with milk and put a cross with the batter.
9. Bake in pre-heated oven of 180 degrees C in fan assisted oven or 190 in conventional oven for 20 to 30 minutes of until golden brown and become hollow sound when you tap it.
10. Brush with warm orange marmalade.
11. Let it cool down.
12. Enjoy

Note: add 1/4 cup of water first then add the tablespoon at a time if needed because sometimes you need more and some other times don’t need more water.

Here’s my recipe

Modern hot cross buns

Ingredients

Dry:
3 cups strong white bread flour
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup dried skimmed milk
1/3 cup white sugar
7 grams fast acting yeast
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon ground mace
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 tablespoon soya lecithin (optional)

Wet:
3/4 cup coconut cream ( room temperature)
1/4 to 1/2 lukewarm water
2 large beaten eggs
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon almond butter
1 teaspoon orange extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 tablespoon raw apple cider vinegar (optional)

Fruit:
1 cup mix of dried papaya and pineapple
1 cup dried sultanas
1/2 cup mix citrus peel

For cross:
4 tablespoons flour
4 to 5 tablespoons cold water ( mix until become thick batter )

Glacé:
Clear orange marmalade

Procedures

1. mix all dry ingredients set aside.
2. Combine all wet ingredients.
3. Put the dry and wet ingredients in mixer with the dough hook. Mix for 10 minutes.
4. Add the fruit, mix slowly until combined. Knead for 2 minutes.
5. Put back in the greased bowl cover in the warm place for 1 1/2 hours.
6. Knead again for 2 minutes then put back in the bowl and cover for another hour.
7. Shape into buns. Cover again for 30 to 45 minutes or until it double in size.
8. Brush with milk and put a cross with the batter.
9. Bake in pre-heated oven of 180 degrees C in fan assisted oven or 190 in conventional oven for 20 to 30 minutes of until golden brown and become hollow sound when you tap it.
10. Brush with warm orange marmalade.
11. Let it cool down.
12. Enjoy

Note: add 1/4 cup of water first then add the tablespoon at a time if needed because sometimes you need more and some other times don’t need more water.

Thank you biarine, I appreciate having the recipe. My question was about how you make your homemade butter? I make mine at home when I have raw milk available. I like to hear from others how they make it.

Thank you biarine, I appreciate having the recipe. My question was about how you make your homemade butter? I make mine at home when I have raw milk available. I like to hear from others how they make it.

I used 600 ml organic double cream ( thick cream ) and I put 2 tablespoon of pure cultured buttermilk. Put into canning jar cover with cloth in the room temperature for 24 hours. Then whisk until turn into butter ball. Wash the butter ball with ice water until turn clear, I put very small amount of salt. Refrigerate.

I used 600 ml organic double cream ( thick cream ) and I put 2 tablespoon of pure cultured buttermilk. Put into canning jar cover with cloth in the room temperature for 24 hours. Then whisk until turn into butter ball. Wash the butter ball with ice water until turn clear, I put very small amount of salt. Refrigerate.

I like your method, I'll try it. Thank you for your kindness.

Back