My homemade molds

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: my drying rack also........

oldragbagger said:
I also made this drying rack out of 1x2 and a whole lot of batten. It is 30" long x 18" deep. I will probably outgrow it soon though as I plan to graduate from "test batches" tomorrow and start soaping in my new large mold. The batten ended up being kindof pricey. I could have spaced them farther apart and saved a little but I am so anal. I will probably end up buying them from soapequipment.com when I get to the point of needing more.

dscn0097.jpg

That orangey batch at the front of the middle row is my goatmilk and honey batch that never fully gelled. The dark colored batch in the 3rd row had coconut milk in it and monkey farts fragrance. I used no colorants whatsoever, it turned really dark like that on its own. It's sortof pretty that way.

Nice rack!
Heh... :wink:

DeeDee said:
I'm not sure if his concern is for the tools hurting me or him hurting me when I touch them, lol. I guess he has reason to worry though, seeing as I poured Kerosene in the lawnmower instead of gas...then proceeded to snap the chain off and run over it with the blades, before it started coughing gasping for gas.

hahaha .....so,who mows the lawn now???

Re: my drying rack also........

oldragbagger said:
I also made this drying rack out of 1x2 and a whole lot of batten. It is 30" long x 18" deep. I will probably outgrow it soon though as I plan to graduate from "test batches" tomorrow and start soaping in my new large mold. The batten ended up being kindof pricey. I could have spaced them farther apart and saved a little but I am so anal. I will probably end up buying them from soapequipment.com when I get to the point of needing more.

dscn0097.jpg

quote]

...these look like the 'gorm' shelfs from ikea..they work out $au15 would need to add a few more battens tho....

Check out this great cutter!!! (scroll 1/2 way down page..or leisurely browse cos it's all so interesting.. :) )

http://www.althaeasoaps.com/index.php?m ... eturnid=52

Looks exxy,but the idea.....

Holy cow that rack is awesome , you are truly very talented with a hammer , saw and nails. I have rack envy now :shock:

Kitn

I'm more fascinated with her rubbermaid shoebox molds than I am with the piano wire cutter. How much time did I spend building those d@mn molds and I could have spent $4 on a shoebox instead. What a knucklehead I am!!!!!!!!!!!

oldragbagger said:
I'm more fascinated with her rubbermaid shoebox molds than I am with the piano wire cutter. How much time did I spend building those d@mn molds and I could have spent $4 on a shoebox instead. What a knucklehead I am!!!!!!!!!!!

my problem with the plastic shoebox type mold are the rounded edges..a lot of soap is wasted squaring off IMO...ok for personal use,but not to sell...(plus Im OC when it comes to straight lines!!! lol)
Also don't wooden molds insulate better? Gimme handcrafted wooden products over plastic anyday! :) :)

yours are da bomb :wink:

Awesome! I am really impressed with your woodworking skills!! These are very nice and the soaps are lovely too! :)

We're going on vacation next week. How much trouble do you think I would get in if I try to make soap in the hotel bathroom? :?

I just looked at that link. I have used ice cube bins before for hp. I greased them up good and didn't have any problems with them sticking. The mainstay ice cube bins at walmart are good because the bottom is flat, and there are no ridges on the sides either like some ice cube bins have. Of course the sides are slanted, and the end corners are rounded, but really that isn't a big deal if you dont sell.....and even if you do, who says soap has to be rectangular? :D Anyway, they make a great mold for a beginner because they are cheap, and the batch needed to fill it to a "standard" size bar is small.

ETA, the ice cube bins stack/nest nicely, so they don't take up much space either.

Good tip, xraygirl. I sure wish I had that information before I gave mrdoright $54 of my hard earned cash for 2 test-batch sized molds.

Latest posts

Back