My homemade molds

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldragbagger

Reaction score
Just wanted to share with those of you sweating the mold thing..... it's not that hard to make your own. Here are the two I have built so far, the large one I just finished last night after spending countless hours scouring the internet for "the perfect solution" and being overwhelmed with the prices (not to mention mixed reviews - it's no liner, it's not no liner).

dscn0103u.jpg

The first mold I built is for test batches, it makes 9 good sized bars.

dscn0102x.jpg

dscn0101t.jpg

One hinged side drops down to make removal of the loaf easier.

dscn0100s.jpg

When the hinged side is up, you insert the screws through the ends to hold it in place. I drilled the holes oversized so the screws just slip in rather than having to be screwed in.

After awhile I decided to try a MrDoRight123 no-liner mold. $54 I think for the set of 1-2 lb. molds. They are nice, and well made and sturdy and easy to clean, but I have never been able to use these without a liner. More about my experience with this on this thread http://www.soapmakingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10346&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=45

So when I decided it was time for a larger mold, I decided to save myself a pocketfull of green and build my own again. This large one will make 27 bars. It cost me less than $10 to make. (The small one above cost about $5.) It did take a whole day but that is okay. I work for the schools and am off for the summer. I have plenty of time, but no money so this was the perfect solution for me.

dscn0099.jpg

dscn0098.jpg

The marks on the sides I burned into the wood so I would have a cutting reference for cutting the lots. I can mark them with a straightedge and a stylus and then cut them with a 16" double handled cheeseknife. (See this link for a great deal on this knife http://www.bakedeco.com/detail.asp?id=11966&catid=641

Those rock! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the idea of the cheese knife! I have been having so many problems with cutters. Does it fit perfectly into the mold?

Great job and great ideas!

You did a really nice job on the molds! I too am jealous.

I don't think I could cut a straight piece of wood if my life depended on it!! :lol:

Jude

Very nice! The molds I have also have hinges just open a little differently. I really do need to make a slab mold since I have all the tools......

Very inspiring - thanks for sharing!

Back