My hand soap stained my clothes

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carl

Reaction score
So I made a liquid soap
I used
50% Coconut
26% Olive
10% Safflower
4% Avacado
10% Castor

I made my paste and then diluted with a mix of H2O and vegetable glycerin (I grabbed this idea from another web site)

I then poured it into one of those foamer bottles with about 75% soap and 25% distilled H2O. I put a few drops of Lavender EO in it.

It works great!! We love it.

Unfortunately I splashed some on my shirt while hand washing and it left a stain.

Should it really stain my clothing? Where can I have gone wrong?

What do you mean by staining? Greasy? Lighter color? Darker color? What?

It was a light grey T-Shirt. After it dried it was darker in color. It looked like it was wet but was dry. It was not greasy as all.

I just put the shirt into the wash and it is all wet and you can't tell that it is there since the entire shirt is wet.

I'll see what happens now when it dries. It's in the dryer

Sounds like it left a grease stain from likely the SF in the soap maybe? That's what I get when I splash grease on me. Same kind of stain where it's darker. I just treat it and re-wash. I use 100% CO soap with a 0 SF to treat stains.

Great tip. Thanks.
I'm not worried about the shirt, lol. I'm more worried about giving this soap away to people and getting complaints that it stained their clothing.

When you say "after it dried it was darker in color" -- do you mean (1) you rinsed the soap out of the fabric and then let the fabric dry? Or (2) do you mean you left the soap in the fabric and let it dry as-is? And (3) after washing, is it fine or is the spot still visible?

2) do you mean you left the soap in the fabric and let it dry as-is?

(3) after washing, is it fine or is the spot still visible?
I will know later when I go home and check

Last edited by a moderator:
If the spot is still there after drying, try using some Polysorbate 80 on it and rewashing. You might want to consider adding some PS80 into the liquid soap - it will also help bind the FO/EO to the liquid soap so the user doesn't need to shake up the soap bottle to disperse the scent [as often].

2) do you mean you left the soap in the fabric and let it dry as-is?

The soap should have been rinsed out of the fabric before deciding the soap is causing an actual stain. My guess is your shirt is fine now that you've washed the soap out.

Many liquids that are left to dry in fabric will leave a mark, but these marks aren't actually stains unless the marks aren't removed by your normal washing methods. For example, milk left to dry on fabric will leave a mark, but the mark usually washes out. Red wine leaves a stain that doesn't wash out easily.

Some fabric dyes can be lightened if lye-based soap is left in the fabric. It's always smart to check for colorfastness before treating spots with lye-based soap. That's especially true for protein fibers, such as silk or wool, due to the acid reactive dye that's often used for coloring protein fibers.

Back