My growing soap stash

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MsBeeHaven

Reaction score
I signed up for a few craft sales so I have been busy lately. I keep tweaking recipes and trying new things as I keep learning. Here are a few recent soaps.
20210926_110647.jpg

This one was a new recipe including some lanolin and honey. I have bees and have been using beeswax but was scared of honey. No volcanoes, and I didn't gel it. I attempted to lay bubble wrap on top for a honeycomb look, but apparently one side is flat. Lol. I used the wavy cutter to remove that ugliness. Unscented, with honey blush mica.
20210925_082159.jpg

The same recipe as above, but natural color and gardenia scent, on request. Presold 3 of them.
20210926_110703.jpg

I used coconut milk and coffee with cocoa powder on this one. Used Market Front FO from Rustic Escentuals.
20210926_075719.jpg

This one is my 36th batch and my best looking in the pot swirl. :) Used micas from Nurture Soaps, full throttle (bright yellow), emerald green, and Klein blue in uncolored base with Lake Adventure FO.

I just wanted to share some of my feel-good moments. I am learning so much from reading this forum! You guys are inspiring!

Beautiful soaps! I love the coconut/coffee/cocoa bar, it reminds me of an Oreo cookie bark we make at Christmas. My sister is a beekeeper and I've been thinking about using some beeswax an honey in a soap, but I too was a bit scared of the overheating potential.

It's tricky using beeswax and keeping it melted when you mix with oils. I used beeswax for a while and like the added firmness. But it's a pain. I did a bunch of reading about honey before I got up my nerve. I mixed a tsp PPO with some of my water, maybe a tablespoon. After my oils were melted, I blended the honey in. My lye wasn't very hot when I mixed with oils. I didn't force gel or even cover so I could check it frequently and watch for disaster. It was fine.

It's tricky using beeswax and keeping it melted when you mix with oils. ..”
OyVey! Ain’t that the truth! I made my 1st lotion bar using beeswax 🐝 also for the 1st time. Thank goodness for previous, CP soaping not going as planned, & the lesson learned of DON’T PANIC. All in all lotion bars are a success but comical because I did it all wrong. For example, not melting beeswax thoroughly before the addition of other oils. 😂 funny not funny 😅

OyVey! Ain’t that the truth! I made my 1st lotion bar using beeswax 🐝 also for the 1st time. Thank goodness for previous, CP soaping not going as planned, & the lesson learned of DON’T PANIC. All in all lotion bars are a success but comical because I did it all wrong. For example, not melting beeswax thoroughly before the addition of other oils. 😂 funny not funny 😅
I know what you mean! I've also made lotion bars and lip balm while trying to keep the wax fluid! It's definitely a challenge. One technique I tried that seems to help is to melt the beeswax in a double boiler along with some coconut oil (if your recipe includes it). More heat mass with the beeswax and then add whatever else. It doesn't hurt the coconut oil to get hot.

Really good work, there! I love the cocoa coffee one, especially the swirl. Was that a slab mold or loaf mold?

Many know that I'm an evangelist for lotion bars but I get the frustration of hardening/hardened beeswax. I'm loving my new silicone measuring cups for melting beeswax in double boiler. Clean up is easier after it's hard, just chip it out of the cup.

Really good work, there! I love the cocoa coffee one, especially the swirl. Was that a slab mold or loaf mold?

Many know that I'm an evangelist for lotion bars but I get the frustration of hardening/hardened beeswax. I'm loving my new silicone measuring cups for melting beeswax in double boiler. Clean up is easier after it's hard, just chip it out of the cup.
That was my slab mold, which I'm finally getting the hang of using. I just use a couple of old pans that fit together and wipe it out with a paper towel while it's still warm. Beeswax is like soap... you just sacrifice a few implements to beeswax because they'll never be the same again!

Your soaps are so pretty!
I lol'd about 'sacrificing to the beeswax' - I have absolutely done this!

Back