my great grandmother's soap recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MzMolly65

Reaction score
I found this while cleaning out boxes of old photos ..

My Great Grandmother lived in St. Hippolyte, Saskatchewan, Canada and this is translated from French. The year was 1909

"We had a 3 year old sow and she raised quite a few litters of pigs. When we butchered her she was dressed at 830 pounds. We made a lot of soap as she was not much good for anything else. We had over 200 pigs at times.

Here is my soap recipe.

3 pounds of fat
1 can lye
3 tablespoons of Borax
1 quart ammonia
Mix all together, cook in a cast iron pot. Boil until the fat comes on top. Set a day or so to dry and cut into squares."

I wonder how big a can of lye was and whether this soap was for laundry, skin or everything. I suspect everything since I doubt they would have the money or the time to make different soaps for different jobs.

That's pretty neat.

The amount of lye is important, but so is the concentration. It would be easy enough to enter this in soap calc and reproduce it with your current lye source.

Thats real similar to my grammas soap recipe but she didn't use ammonia. She did CP and it was for bathing, I still have a old bar and its terrible harsh stuff.

That is pretty cool. What would the ammonia be used for?? That has me stumped.

In my reading...soap was soap back then. It was used for everything around the household. By the 20's commercial producers were pushing their products hard with ad campaigns and way way out there marketing...but homemade soap would have been used for every use around the house.

Latest posts

Back