My Goof for the Week

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We can certainly all make boo boos. I know I should not soap when it is over 100º f in my house because my brain just does work at those temps, but I wanted to make a batch of camel milk soap. I am quite glad I decided to split my camel milk into 4 2 lb batches. This batch is a persimmon camel milk soap with cedarwood, sweet orange, grapefruit and gingergrass. I added in my citric acid at 2.5% for chelating, but guess what forgot to add in my extra lye. Yuck, now I have a 18% superfatted soap that is low on coconut oil. I am glad I decided to make it a charcoal soap so hopefully it will cut some of the extra oil. Leave it to me $20 a pint Camel milk and I decide to goof.

I hear ya! Perfect conditions or not sometimes you just gotta soap!

Oh man, that sucks, Carolyn. I hate that the rare boo boo happened w/such an expensive additive.

As an aside, we are roasting here in east LA (Silver Lake) as well. The increased A/C use blew out the power grid that feeds my street for most of late afternoon/night yesterday, so I went to sleep at 8 pm, when it got too dark to read, and then woke up sweating in the middle of the night and moved my pillow to the floor, it is cooler than my bed. I am realizing how much I love modern technology :) I am charging up my kindle and laptop right now in case of a repeat.

Last edited:
Aw it's too hot to be even trying anything new unless it involves swim fins. I'm sorry Carolyn.

NA it's supposed to cool down starting Monday, but if your power goes out you can grab the goblins and come down here.

God, I hope it breaks soon, Sea, it has been awful. The goblins don't even want to walk that much, the little one has taken to sitting down right in the middle of the walk - as soon as she gets overheated - so that I carry her until we hit shade (she is smart, Fred would keep walking/waddling until he gets heatstroke, but I worry less about him b/c he is bigger.)

It really has been kind of crazy. If I didn't have a sister that lived in Santa Monica (w/AC - and more importantly, internet! - run by solar panels) you might have a full house :) I do not think of myself as as a technophile, but I am staying w/my mom, there are no real life books here, and found trying to read the best of what she - a non-reader - had (a horrifically translated version of the Mahabaratha) somewhat horrendous.

I'm not kidding, it really did make me thing about back-up generators. If I have a good book and reasonable food I am OK with just about anything else, I guess I forgot that these days we kind of need electricity for easy access to both. Dinner last night was Ramen noodles and Spaghetti-O's, the only thing we could find that did not require opening the refrigerator.

Last edited:
atleast you haven't used up all of that expensive camel milk. Your soap might still end up really nice and luxurious with all that superfat. Good luck. curious to know what you think of camel milk soap after you have made your next batch.

I am thinking it may be a fantastic charcoal bar for someone with dry skin, since charcoal itself can be a bit drying. Of course this is not a good test for camel milk :p so we will see how label appeal works. I am really betting it is no different from any other milk

I'm not kidding, it really did make me thing about back-up generators. If I have a good book and reasonable food I am OK with just about anything else, I guess I forgot that these days we kind of need electricity for easy access to both. Dinner last night was Ramen noodles and Spaghetti-O's, the only thing we could find that did not require opening the refrigerator.

Sometimes it does pay to have one. We ended up buying one at the beginning of the year. A couple years ago we had some pretty wild storms and out power was out for 3 days. We borrowed a generator off a mate and it lasted 2 of the 3 days before it died. (it was old and crappy) Then at the beginning of the year we had some more wild storms and major flooding and out power was out for a week and a half. We decided on the first day that the power was out that we needed to get one and thankfully we found one. People were going mad hiring or trying to buy one.

It was more to keep DH amused on his PC and to keep my fish Mr Blue Fish alive. Ive had him for almost 10 years. Heres a pic of him.

Update: I just shredded up the bars and I am going to do a layered black and white soap with the charcoal shredded soap as the black layer. They were just to oily, some might like them but I hate them.

Back