My fragrance keeps disappearing

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My soap at 6% doesn't perfume my skin.
I completely missed this. Scenting the skin from soap is very rare. As @Lin19687 said, it will stick to some people (my sister is one of those it will stick too) but most people the scent will leave the skin within minutes of getting out of the shower.
This is a completely different topic than scent fading out of soap however, so I think this thread is getting confused with several different topics in one.

Also scent sticking to the skin IMO is more of a DNA or skin structure type of thing and how each individuals skin reacts to scent than the scent itself. It's why some perfumes smell absolutely beautiful on some people and the same exact perfume (out of the same bottle even) will smell absolutely horrid on other people.

I completely missed this. Scenting the skin from soap is very rare. As @Lin19687 said, it will stick to some people (my sister is one of those it will stick too) but most people the scent will leave the skin within minutes of getting out of the shower.
This is a completely different topic than scent fading out of soap however, so I think this thread is getting confused with several different topics in one.

Also scent sticking to the skin IMO is more of a DNA or skin structure type of thing and how each individuals skin reacts to scent than the scent itself. It's why some perfumes smell absolutely beautiful on some people and the same exact perfume (out of the same bottle even) will smell absolutely horrid on other people.

My comment was more a reply to the above post where they mentioned that soap wasn't meant to perfume the skin in response to us using a much higher percent here in the US.

Ditto 100% what jcandleattic said. The scent receptors in our noses come into play, too. The ability to detect certain scents can often vary from person to person at any given time, i.e. some scent receptors might be over-saturated with certain scent molecules to the point that certain scents can't be detected for a period of time (going outside for awhile and coming back in resets things), or some scent receptors might be totally inactive, and/or some might be overactive, or over sensitive, etc..... It's always good to get second and third opinions when testing the strength of a scent in soap.

IrishLass :)

I use many of those listed. Loving Spell, Indian Sandalwood, Lavender Flowers and the y’all last well for me. I have Indian Sandalwood and Loving Spell that are 8-10 months old and still going strong. I also think sometime recipes and noses are different. Which can affect things too.

Last edited:
However even with the assistance of Kaolin clay I cannot seem to get my fragrances to stick around.
I'm wondering how old the soaps are that you're talking about? If young soap, it sometimes happens that the fragrance disappears then comes back after a longer cure, especially when you lather up in the shower.

Also, a soap high in olive oil may act that way vs. just the opposite with lard/tallow soaps, or so I've found. :)

I also think sometime recipes and noses are different

yes!! when I shower with my patchouli bar that scent sticks for hours but most of them I don't smell--I really think it is my nose. I make a anise bar that I give to a friend and his wife says she smells it for along time but she has never said that about any other scents

There are plenty of us who have noses that can't tolerate scenting over 3% PPO. 6% FO is way too much for my nose and would trigger a migraine I don't need. I also would fear my daughter reacting to such a soap.

I think this happens a lot with people who work with scent a lot. They can't smell it but others can.
So, we all need to keep that in mind... Just because we think it's faded, or can't smell it, doesn't mean the scent is not there
So true! People coming to my house always remark about how good it smells (my soap boxes are kept in my dining area) and I can't smell them at all!

I purchased my fragrance oils from Nature's Gardens. Fragrances like black raspberry and vanilla, deadly weapon, loving spell, Indian Sandalwood, one night stand, have all disappeared on me. Lavender flowers, peppermint, floral bouquet are the only ones that are worth a hill of beans

I am also facing the same problem.

Is that 6% each fragrance? Or 6% total. Thank you so much for trying to help
Does it mean to add 6% of FO in 100grams

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to my mentor, its was suggested to purchase a sample size of any fragrance. Use it to make (Test batch) 1lbs or smaller. If the scent last its a winner; if it fails use it for personal use. Its a win-win situation. As recommended check suppliers website for usage. Customers of Bramble Berry, Nurture Soaps, Symphony Scents, From Nature with Love, Rustic Essentials, Nature Gardens and Essential Depot just to name a few recommendations. We use most fragrances at 3%-5%

Last edited:
Back