my fixer uppers

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marilyn Norgart

Reaction score
need to try and fill the holes and I don't know if it will work but I am going to try. I am making another embed batch with the same base. I am thinking I should do it sooner than later. if nothing else I have some great soap for myself--it is scented with energy which is one of my favorite scents
20190522_075855 (2).jpg 20190522_080047 (2).jpg

If this soap is freshly made, why not knead small bits of scrap soap until pliable and press that into the holes? If there aren't too many, it might be a viable way to fix the problem.

Honestly, though, the holes don't bother me, looking at the soap with an outsider/consumer's eye. There aren't many and they don't look untidy. Just part of the soap and how it was made.

I really like the overall look of the soap as it is. Very nice choice of colors and textures -- I like how the straight blue bits float around and through the green and blue curls.

Honestly, though, the holes don't bother me

the only thing I worry about is water getting in the holes and melting the soap to fast. I don't think the holes are big enough to fill with doughy soap but I am going to try. thank you for your kind words

well I filled some of the holes and I think it sticks out more than the holes. I started using some of the soap from the bucket and thought I had better use some gelled soap so i tried that and don't like it and I think pouring fresh soap in them will give the same effect so I will just leave them and gift and use for personal use

"...about half of them will be good..."

Turn that liability into an asset -- it's a limited edition batch! :rolleyes:

I had one batch that was nice soap except the coloring was awful. I discounted the price, was honest about the issue, and called it "Frank Lee Ugly" soap. It sold out fast.

"...about half of them will be good..."

Turn that liability into an asset -- it's a limited edition batch! :rolleyes:

I had one batch that was nice soap except the coloring was awful. I discounted the price, was honest about the issue, and called it "Frank Lee Ugly" soap. It sold out fast.

how much did you discount?

I really like the overall look of the soap as it is. Very nice choice of colors and textures -- I like how the straight blue bits float around and through the green and blue curls.
I agree with this whole paragraph!

I didn't even notice the holes at first hehehe.. It's still great looking soap :)

This looks like a good place to use some MP. Melt it and color it, and pour it in. Ready in a few hours.

I haven't used MP soap yet :) I did buy some to try making honey to fill the comb on the next batch of honey oat I make but its still sitting un-opened

need to try and fill the holes and I don't know if it will work but I am going to try. I am making another embed batch with the same base. I am thinking I should do it sooner than later. if nothing else I have some great soap for myself--it is scented with energy which is one of my favorite scents
View attachment 39090 View attachment 39091
I love these! I have a couple of bags of trimmings Janice has has been encouraging me to add to a batch, but I've been resisting. Now I want to do it. My shavings are predominantly TD white, so I'm debating putting in a colored soap or leaving the soap natural for a more subtle white/neutral contrast. Hmmm

I love these! I have a couple of bags of trimmings Janice has has been encouraging me to add to a batch, but I've been resisting. Now I want to do it. My shavings are predominantly TD white, so I'm debating putting in a colored soap or leaving the soap natural for a more subtle white/neutral contrast. Hmmm

I have put white and lighter colored trimmings in darker bars and I really like it. but the neutrality would be cool--might be kinda ghosty looking

I normally sell bars for $5 each. I discounted the misfit bars to $4. If they didn't sell at that price, I'd have cut the price another dollar, but they got snapped up pretty fast at $4.

I'd rather sell my misfits for less or give them to friends and family, just to get 'em gone while they still smell nice. I like to keep my soap moving along! :)

I normally sell bars for $5 each. I discounted the misfit bars to $4. If they didn't sell at that price, I'd have cut the price another dollar, but they got snapped up pretty fast at $4.

I'd rather sell my misfits for less or give them to friends and family, just to get 'em gone while they still smell nice. I like to keep my soap moving along! :)

I definitely would rather have mine sell when they smell good also :) appreciate as I never know what to discount too--do you do it at craft fairs and does it effect your other sales?

I price my soap competitively as if my soap making is a real business, but it's honestly a hobby. I sell, but only to one gift shop that is in a tourist-y town not too far from me. I have done a few farmer's markets and craft fairs over the years, but sales at these events was often disappointing, so I quit. The gift shop is enough of a sales outlet for me, and I'm glad their staff take care of the selling side of things so I don't have to.

A fair number of people will buy misfits to save a little money, but even more will buy full-price bars so they can choose exactly the scent they want. I even have a couple of guys who order a full batch (12-14 bars) of the beer soap I make, and they don't blink at paying full price.

I am retired and don't want to have a big business, its my hobby but I would like to make enough to keep making without having to pay for it :) . but I want to get fair market for it too!! that way I can keep donating to auctions and benefits also. I find this retirement stuff rather boring--so soaping is saving my sanity (I suppose people i know would question that) I have some that didn't turn out how I wanted but it still smells good and is good soap and doesn't really look all that bad--so I would like to at least get my costs out of it. but I have also heard if you go too low people wont buy. so you don't discount when selling a whole batch? I have been giving a dollar off a bar when people have been buying my bubble bath bars and salts with my soap--I wont discount on those cuz they cost more to make--but I have been wondering if that is too generous, but so far its been on orders for ten bars of soap. my friends tell me I don't know the worth of what I do--and I guess they are right--I try not to go off of what I would spend on soap :) cuz I am kinda cheap and one friend told me she buys special stuff like that for gifts and will spend the money on it

It's beautiful soap, Marilyn, I'm not qualified to say but I'd suggest seeing if people will buy it as-is, maybe give it a name like 'Holey Scrap' so the holes become a feature. DeeAnna has all the right ideas (as always!) [emoji106]

Stay sane and keep sharing your beautiful soaps!

No, I don't discount the price for larger orders. It costs me exactly the same amount of labor and materials to make a batch that sells to several people vs. a whole batch going to one person. What I am likely to do is add a sample bar in another scent as a thank you. Or maybe even a whole bar if there's an oddball but still nice bar left over from an older batch.

Latest posts

Back